Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What I did today, with pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIG*RED, Mar 4, 2007.

1. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

Well the sun was out, and I had a day off. So today I finally went out and installed my shackle flip and washed my truck.

[​IMG]

I got a little creative with some red and black paint, and then clear coated the shackle, not perfect but I think it looks alright..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So that was my day...:wink1:

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

very nice, gj!

j

3. bigblazer87

bigblazer87 1/2 ton status

I love the shackles, they look mean! :D

If I were you I'd put in a zero-rate in the rear and move the axle back 1.5". Just a random suggestion. :p:

4. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

Yeah I haven't figured out what to do yet, right now in the rear its the stock springs and a 4 inch block. and I have major drive line vibrations, Looks like i'm gonna have give Jess a call and order a high angle drive line. Would like to move the axle back, but not while I have the blocks in there, so I need to get some 4 inch lift springs also. but that will probably change my d-line angles again..:doah: ...so close to driving it, yet so far away, its very fustrating!

5. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

Looks good, how bad do you rub offroad in the front?

6. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

Haven't driven it yet, very bad drivline vibration...but thanks for the front springs by the way!:wink1:

7. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

So you have a flip kit and blocks? I want to get the same shackles where and how much? Nice @ZZ looking truck!!

8. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

no worries...looks good.

9. bigblazer87

Is that 6 inches of lift? Have you had your shaft lengthened yet? (That sounds dirty, but anyways...) I'd try the 4" springs and shims first, then if you've still got vibrations, a HAD shaft. I'm just a bit perplexed on why your axle sits forward in the first place... any pics of the rear suspension you've got would help. :D

10. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

Yes flip kit, with 4 inch block, total is about 8.5 inches of lift, give or take.
    I got the flip kit/with shackles from BlackWidow Performance out of Washington state. He is a member/vendor here shane74 i beleave is his name on here.

11. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

This is the best pic of my rear suspension i have right now...

[​IMG]

12. bigblazer87

Has the axle always been forward in the wheelwell like that, or was it just from the shackle flip? And how's your pinion angle with the driveshaft?

13. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

Thats where the axle has always been, i think...didn't really notice it being so far foward till i got the bigger tires put on.

the pinion and the d-shaft are in a straight line..approx 18 degrees, the tailshaft on the transfer case points down about 4 degrees....I was told in order to run a HAD the pinion and d-shaft should be inline...

14. bigblazer87

Well, with lift blocks and stock springs, you've probably got a bit of axle wrap, which rotates your axle up and messes with the angles. You should have the pinion about 4 degrees down, which would allow it to rotate up and still keep angles in check.

And is that you in your avatar pic? Where the hell can I find a girl like you...

15. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

LMAO.....I'm a guy, thats my friend Brittnay..trying to be "gansta in pink"

16. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

lol the forum landmine in action, gotta love mistaken identity.... you tease :D

but damn dude, thats what i call a productive day, ive been tryin to fix my floppy mirriors for a few days now, and you throw on a flip kit in an afternoon lol.

17. bigblazer87

:o Shoulda known better... wow, that was interesting.:haha::haha:

The ol' switcharoo... what a mean trick. :p:

18. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

Thanks, wasn't too bad. I started about 10am and finished around 4:30pm...took a little longer than I wanted to, the brackets were designed for a clear/empty frame rail, but i have a tow hitch, so I had to spend some time modifying the brackets to clear my hitch.

19. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

My truck was down a month to do my x-over. I probably had three or four days work with everything that I did to the front.

Did you have to pull your gas tank or were you able to work around it? I've got my shackle flip and zero rates, but I am sick and tired of working on it.

K5dreamer: I had the same problem. This may be obvious (wasn't to me), mine have three screws on the bottom of the mirror housing that adjust the flop factor.

20. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

Well kinda, I started by just loosening the straps and letting it hang a little lower, but I got them a little too lose and the tank droped out..oops..but hey it definatly made it easy to work around. then I just got a floor jack under the tank and put it back up in place. easy as pie. :wink1: