Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what I did today...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Mar 19, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Got bored of sitting around doing nothing...so I did something.

Haven't been able to use the o/A welder i got for x-mas because I don't have a proper table to weld on. So I decided to build one.
    nothing special, its just temperary until I move (hopefully its before summer) then I will build a REAL welding table.

Anyway, like I said nothing special. biult it out of scraps I had laying around...
    half done, still need to find some legs, and weld them on.
    I grinded all the rust off the metal where I would be welding, then grinded the ends so they were semi-square (using a angle grinder isn't a good way to cut metal, in a straight line:grin:) So since all the peices weren't all square, some of the welding sucked. But I also need to practice more. Havn't used my welder since 3 onths ago.
    ANYWAYS, here are the pics....

As you can see, I only grinded off where I knew I was welding...in the end I welded through rust too...not good.
    [​IMG]

(I will be bending the rest of the _____ metal after the legs are on (is that expanded steel it's called?)

[​IMG] Millermatic 135- worked good, although had a hard time dialing in the right wire speed and voltage.

" Muuuuum, I can't breathe"

[​IMG]

Grinding and welding in a hot shop isn't good. Closer to when i quit for the afternoon I had to run outside every ten minutes to clear my throat. I just blew my nose and it was all BLACK like grinding dust. :o
    After a while I left the door open which made it better
    got really cold in there though, must be -10*C right now, thats why I kept the door shut most of the time.

[​IMG] SNOW :mad:

When I was welding I kept blowing the breaker. I thought it was because I had the welding, and a light running at the same time.
    But since I haven't welded for a long time, and haven't read anything about it for a while. I forgot about the duty cycle:mad: So I had to slow down.

Anyone know how to tell if a welding cylinder is empty? Have had this same one since Sept. 2003...you can tell I don't weld much;)

2. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

don't know much about welding but the table looks cool.:)

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

not a bad table dude, might want to put a suport or too in the center, like a small piece of flat on edge so the top wont bend if you doing something heavy.

and as for the bottle, the first gauge is tank psi it will have bigger # on it like 1000's it will tell you how much is in there.

and you dont need a ton of gas if your shop isent breasy you can get a way with little paly with it so you dont waste your gas, and remember to shut off your tank when not working.

and black crap in your lungs? yeah welcom to the trade, maybe youll be lucky enuff to weld epoxy coated rebar.
    i welded that for 2 days and hacked up black phlem for 3 months nasty stuff, maybe even where a dust mask for the grindings, wont help for the welding fumes ...

keep up the good work and get rid of the ford trator!

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Your gauge will be at zero on the regulator when the tank is empty. I usually find out its empty while I am welding. Suddenly you will get air bubbles and crap in the welds like you forgot to turn the cylinder on. Thats when its empty.

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Dave, yeah I was thinking about added more support for it. Probably can find more metal to weld to it.
    the furd is there for hauling stuff. I'd rather have a chevy but no can do!

Next time I weld I will check the regulator then.
    Thanks!

6. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That ain't snow. Snow is the **** I have in the back yard that is hood deep. I'm tired of snow. I wish it'd melt and go away.

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

It's not real fabbing if you're not covered is steel blacking and you're blowing black snot out of your nose

Try a wire brush on the steel

[​IMG]

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

take off the makeup :haha:

j/k RJ,,,what were you wire wheelin'?

9. bleedchevy

bleedchevy Registered Member

Welcome to the joys of welding, remember to drink your milk

10. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Your tank is filled by weight. It is stamped somewhere on it how much it holds. The tank should be about 40 lbs empty. I think your table is a great start. I also think they are one of the best biginner projects. As mentioned a little bracing and you are ready to go. I would also weld a bolt sticking down for the ground clamp to go on.

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Yep, that's expanded metal..... if you look closely, you can tell that it's made by making small slits in a standard sheet of steel and is then "pulled" to expand the metal and create those diamond shapes...... AFAIK anyway...

The tank is empty when a few things happen:

1. The regulator pressure "appears" to be zero on the big gauge (the gauge that reads in 1000's) and the needle on the lower pressure side is less than your preset pressure (Mine is usually set at around 25 - 30 psi....when I see it's at 15 psi or less I know I'm almost OUT)

2. No "hissing" sound when you pull the trigger.....(no gas, remember?)

3. Crappy welds (assuming that's not how they normally look! :D )

I've been caught a few times forgetting to open the valves....as soon as I start welding, I usually notice how "quiet" the welding is and that's when I say D'Oh.......

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

hey! good idea for the ground clamp...didn't really think where I was going to put that. Thanks!

I will check the tank today, im sure its not empty yet, but who knows :crazy:

another question: when I was welding, sometimes (twice) I guess the weld got too hot, and the weld barfed to the side of it (kind of looks like 2 crappy welds made into a "t" shape.) why is this? too much heat?

Greg, thanks! Expanded metal is awesome, now that I know how it's made:)

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Pictures

here are the pics, "finished" it today. will add more bracing when I start to fab heavier stuff. For right now it's just welding sheetmetal :crazy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's alright. 1 of the legs doesn't touch the ground..the table will be outside so I can level it out there. on the last leg I couldn't get it right in the corner, so its only welded on one side...hopefully I can remind myself to not drag that leg, bending at the weld area, and breaking the weld.
    Besides poor measurements, unaccurate cuts, and booger welds...it turned out alright :grin:

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Leg braces..

You could add some angle iron or round stock like 3/8 re-bar around the legs to "tie" them together,then you wont have to worry about bending them if you drag the table sideways,--it will take a lot of stress off the welds..Your table looks good--I dont do much better work myself!--sometimes,crude but efeective is the best way--its not for building the space shuttle,as they say..

I got tired of my ground clamp always falling off the peice I was welding,or making poor contact--so I cut it off and put the cable on an old pair of Vise Grips with two hose clamps,now when I clamp it on,Its grounded REAL good!,and no more falling off or bad grounds!

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

OH! good idea on the leg braces...will have to scrounge deeply to find more metal though.
    LOL it's not art, but it will work for what I'm doing!

:)

16. LittlecountryK15

LittlecountryK15 Registered Member

not to bad.......you gotta love welding...Im in a class right now at school for welding and I love it....I go everyday from 9:00-11:00 and it gets better everyday....the only thing I hate is that my teacher always gets made when me and some friends try to make something for our rigs.....just the other day we had to listen to him for like ten min. bitching b/c we made a front bumper for a friends jeep. :D