Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What I did today.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 3 on the tree, May 20, 2006.

1. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Swapped a new head on, and painted a little bit. This is the base motor for a K5 in 1970. Not many around. As a matter of fact, I have yet to see pics or hear of another one .

head 2 001.jpg

head 2 002.jpg

head 2 004.jpg

2. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

funny lookin motor, looks good tho. nice job

3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Well I think it's cool! :thumb:

4. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Are those manual brakes?! :eek1:

You sure you want to put bigger tires on this thing?

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I remember those engines where real common in Nova's.

6. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Yep, manual brakes AND steering. Back when men were men and had the biceps and legs to prove it.:D

7. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That's cool man ......Oldskool

8. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

When I was in school my roommate had a '70 ( I think) C-10 shortbed that had manual steering and brakes. Had 3 on the floor as well. It wasn't too bad to drive until he put some wide, low profile tires on it. Then low speed steering was a two-handed affair. It was a fun truck to work on. We rebuilt the 292 in the livingroom since we didn't have a garage. The house smelled like oil and gas for about a month. It was great. :D :D :D

9. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

interesting intake.

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Sixes...

I've seen tons of 250's and 292's in pickups,especially the 67-72's..not so many in blazers though..I owned a 75 K5 with a integral head 250,that was a 2wd..I also nearly bought a 71 K5 with a 250 six..but after driving 20 miles to finally find it,I discovered it was a 2wd version!..usless to me at the time,as I had a 71 and a 72 K5 and was looking for drivetrain parts..I shoulda bought it anyway..had less rust than mine,and now I bet its worth thousands to the lowrider enthusiasts..:doah:

Those old sixes were very tough to kill!..my friend had a 70 Nova with a 250 six..we drove it home from a bar when we were 20,with NO water in the radiator,to his apartment 20 miles away where my truck was parked!..it sounded like it had no wrist pins when we got there,and I had to open the hood and close the choke to shut it off!--it was SO hot the pistons and valves must have been glowing(the exhaust manifold sure was!)--the motor kept right on running when he turned the ignition off!..we put another radiator in it the next day,and to my suprise it actually started right up and ran fairly well,considering what we did to it..it didn't even smoke!..:eek1:

After the introduction of the "Integral Head" and the 2 bbl carb on the 250's,they didn't fare so well..I had two "good" ones ,my 81 Van had onw with 180,000 miles,and it ran better than the 307 I put in its place did!(more tourque anyway)..the other one in my 79 C10 blew a chunk of the top piston ring lands out at 116,000 miles..those motors always had spark knock,and I think thats what ate the piston on that motor..they burned valves and cracked heads a lot too...

Your 1970 motor is the highest compression version, and the most powerful of all the 250's..my book says 155 hp on a 1970 250 six!..better than the 110-115 hp my Van and C10 had.... I've never seen a 292 factory in a K5,but seen a few "K" pickups with one..I think the 292 is one of the best six cylinder GM motors...the 235 and 261,and 270-302 straight sixes from 50's models were good motors too..won lots of races in the old days..:crazy: