Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what i did w/14ff drums after disc conv.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rdn2blazer, Nov 30, 2005.

1. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

I made a couple of grinder stands out of them. i used the drum as the base. the one with the grinder on it has a piece of 1/4 steel plate that i cut round welded to the drum, then i cut a piece of 1/4 x 1 1/2 angle to fit inside the tube. radiused the ends to fit the inside radius of the tube then drilled a hole for clearence for a bolt. then i welded a 5/8-11 nut to the inside flat of the angle and welded it inside the tube. then bolted it to the plate welded to the drum. the other base i got a bit fancy, i turned the same angle that the drum has on the outside then bolted it using the lug pattern. thought about using actual crome lug nuts but i didn't want to go buy them. i powder coated the plate at home orange so i could see what the color looked like since i had not used that color yet. dont have anything mounted on that one yet. both drums got painted black. whatch ya think?

DSCN0256.JPG

DSCN0257.JPG

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Pretty crafty. I just threw mine out

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

lol, thats some funny chit. I might do something similar... if I don't want to keep the parts for my tow rigs ff14b. I'm trying to figure out some good uses for np203 parts after yanking the rangebox off mine...

j

4. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Looks sharp. Do you think the drums are heavy enough :D I was so pissed after droping one, it took a bounce and then landed on my foot, that I tossed them after beating the heck out of it with a BFH to make my foot feel better :crazy:

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I use my left over drums as wheel chocks:)

6. NewMexK5

NewMexK5 1/2 ton status

They make excellent wheel chocks, a pair are holding my junk in the driveway right now. :haha:

7. rdn2blazer

they are plenty heavy enough as a base, plus the tube is 1/4 wall. thats what i had layin around. i have leaned on a few things while grinding without it moving. i can allways put my foot on the base if i have to also.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

different drum..

I made a neat set of wheel weights for a lawn tractor out of 2 pairs of 11" drums off a 10 bolt rear end for a friend who wanted to add chains and weight to his tractor for plowing..I drilled holes that matched the bolt pattern in his rims that were there for weights in the drums,put long carriage bolts thru the drums- then bolted them together facing each other..put a plate over the open center hole,and filled them with cement!..they weighed at least 75 lbs each..he said they worked great!.. ;)

Next time I saw him at a local junkyard,he was looking for more drums!..he had a brainstorm--he cut the centers out of 2 old junk 6 lug 1/2 ton rotors,and drilled them to match the 4.5" bolt pattern his tractor used on the lugs..now he can use his old K5 tires and rims on it! :laugh: --

I asked why not just get 2 car rims with the 4.5" pattern and bolt them on??..2 reasons he said--1. I already have tires and wheels..2. 13" tires are wimpy looking!..( I have used "space saver spares" on many of my lawn tractors,many ford,gm fwd,and mopar ones have the 4.5" lug patten!--cheaper than buying a new 23x12.50x12" tire at a mower shop!)..

I saw his tractor recently..it had 235/75 15" studded snow tires with chains!..he said he now has to use 1st gear a lot more--it will now go 20 mph in high gear! :eek1: --we bolted some 33's on it he had kicking around for laughs--it looked like a pulling tractor,but it was too high geared even in 1st gear to use them,and they scraped the running boards!..good thing it had no fenders!..

BTW--nice job on the grinder stand!--I like seeing old stuff put to new uses..its better than scrapping them,and ingenuity is cool!.. :bow:

9. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

paten that, im sure you make urself a millionaire over night ;) :haha:

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the grinders at school are built on top of semi brake drums :D

Something else that has been done at school, turn them into jack stands. Works pretty well for holding up just an axle. Looks like 10 bolt drums they used to make those.

11. rdn2blazer

12. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Whenever I break sumthing or upgrade I try to use the leftover pieces to make something. Ring and Pinions, engine fans, axle shafts, rims, etc. I used a camshaft as the door handle on my kegerator, a pushrod and 2 rocker arms for the freezer handle. A thrashed pinion gear for the front of my welding cart, an inline 6 cyl. air injector tube as the handle. Wonder how the lawn mower will sound with a 2.5" flowmaster 40 series?? :haha:

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

do it!..

Dont laugh!..I've put small car mufflers on lawnmower motors used for generators,and they run so quiet you can hear the valves clicking!..after I put one on my go kart and mini-bike as a teen,I hardly ever got the neighbors attention,and rarely got caught riding it..if they don't hear it,they don't complain,and call the cops on you!.. :D ..my Yard Man 20HP twin is next to get one..its stock muffler has loose baffles,and it sounds horrible at low speed..soon as it rots off,its history...I had a glass pack on a 6hp Tecumseh once--it sounds a lot like a Harley!..

I use all kinds of scrap stuff for uses never intended,as do many friends..one of the main reasons I go to swap meets is to see what the vendors have invented and cobbed together,or used old parts for!..its almost as good as the bargains to be had there.. :laugh:

14. fordfreak300

fordfreak300 Registered Member

I have the samer thing only the stand is painted grey to match my grinder. It is a nice way to set your grinder up isn't it.

15. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I have used old 10-bolt drums to set jack stands on and make them taller. Not much other use for rear 10-bolt stuff.