Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What I Did Wrong on U-Joint Install

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Polaris, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Ok, I'm going to humiliate myself publicly but I think, maybe someone else has my experience level or less working on their truck. Mine is a '90 K5, 4" RC all-sprung lift with 33" Pro Comp M/T's (none of which matters with this problem). I had a nasty vibe so went to change the rear u-joint on the rear driveshaft. I've done u-joints before, or helped with them at least. So Monday I did the job. Tuesday night I went to work and it was shaking worse than ever. On the way home the joint snapped and also the shaft was dented and bent slightly in the process. I just put the shaft back on now. Still in my greasy coveralls as a matter of fact /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What I did wrong is this:
    I thought the straps that hold the u-joint to the rear pinion yoke were what held the u-joint in place (do I hear laughing??). They don't. And, rather than tabs that hold the u-joint in, mine has c-clips that come with the u-joint, that hold it in. So that's what those were for!!

I have to go across town to pick hubby up from work in a bit here, so I'll know better how much vibe I have from the damage. I went up and down the road, heavy on the skinny pedal, and it held fine.

Hope that helps someone.

2. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

one time was gonna replacve a rear u-joint for hte g/f dad's burban. Told him should only take about 10 minutes. Was speeding through it and the car wouldn't fit into the yoke. Found 2 roller bearing pins fell to the bottom of the cap Took me a total of like 40 minutes. Still impressed him anyways but still. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Don't feel bad, I did the same exact thing on my first Ujoint change. Was doing about 40mph when it went BANG! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

BTDT
    most yokes have the little tabs, the chev plastic injected retained ones do not.
    I was lucky and just ruined a friends ujoint swap

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

No, the plastic injected u-joints do have retaining tabs on the axle yoke. For example...my 'burb. The plastic injection is only on the caps that go in the driveshaft...no plastic to melt out on the axle yoke.

6. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    the car wouldn't fit into the yoke.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sure as hell hope not. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif That would be a really small car if it did. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif