Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what i need for a TBI swap in a 292?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by joarzero, Jan 30, 2005.

1. joarzero

joarzero Newbie

ok guys, i have a 292 engine whit a 1bbl carb, i want to upgrade to TBI, so what parts i need, from wath truck, from wath engine, etc etc, be specific because i am not good to this :D also money is problem, i dont have the money right now for new stuff so ill be taking all from a wrecked car, plus we dont have any store down here where we can buy complete custom kits like turbo city, any help will be really apreciated, because i been serching the web and i havent found any usefull info, thanx in advance for your time :o

2. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Get a wrecked camaro or blazer with a 305 TBI. Seems like the displacement is close enough so you wont have to mess with the puter. You're going to have to make or buy an adapter to actually stick the throttle body on the engine but that should be the hardest part.

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

TARussell is doing his very thing with a 292 and a Howell kit. I'm sure he'll see this and chime in soon. ;)

4. joarzero

joarzero Newbie

ok thank you, then lets wait for TARussell :D

5. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

hmm...I'd also like to hear more about this. I know where I can score a 292 for cheap.:thinking:

6. joarzero

joarzero Newbie

ohh i forgot, i have a manual transmision, non computer controled, also i dont have any problems whit emisions, just simple whit the less sensors posible, thanks

7. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Get a Clifford performance intake and header for it. You will have to adapt something to get the TBI on a 2 or 4 barrel intake.

Blake

8. eagle mark

eagle mark 1/2 ton status

The best way is to use a Clifford or other four barrel manifold, then you can use a two barrel TBI with the four barrel adapter.

For a complete system with an EFI distributor is about $1095. from AFI.
    http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/chevy-system.htm

You can get it done cheaper with a one barrel. But I think the question was better... :D

9. joarzero

joarzero Newbie

:D how i can do it whit a one barrel, i dont need performance just the job done, mi engine is stock, thanks :confused: plus, the cool thing is that i think i can get all the parts for cheap, i just need kindergarden instructions :blush: about what to get and from what especific car

10. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

You are in luck since your in Mexico ! GM still offered the 250/292 in non-USA models for many years and there is a GM manifold that is already made for the TBI . I do not know what application you need to look for but they are made . There is mention of it in ( IIRC ) Leo Santucci's book about in-line sixes .

Also check out some industrial applications that use the 250's - we have a GM 4 cylinder ( a 3.0Liter based off of the in-line 250 ) that runs an electric motor for a transfer car and it has the later style small cap electric dist. in it . Once I saw that I wondered if the later model non-U.S. spec engines offered the same .It might be worth finding a Mexican version of a Hollander book at the larger auto scrap yards and seeing what was offered and what will interchange .

If you do decide to use an existing set up do some homework on how the computer will control the timing . This is one of the main resons I went with a Howell kit that was offered for a vacum controlled timing set up .
    I realize you are asking about parts you can use to make your engine run with out buying an exspensive kit and my best advice to you is look at the Mexican and South American offerings and see whats available .
    Good luck , Tom

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If those engines were offered with TBI, and you can find one, strip the vehicle of all the sensors and wiring.

I'm sure that similar GM wiring setups will work, but take more effort on your part.

Things such as ESC, PROM, Knock sensor and so on are different based on the engine.

12. joarzero

joarzero Newbie

thanks for your help guys, Tom how are you doing your own swap, what are parts do need to doit the way you did? thanks again :D

13. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I tried to lacate a non-USA intake and distributor but had no luck so I sucked it up and got the Howell TBI kit . It's exspensive but complete and very nice .
    I got an Offy intake because it was not as RPM happy as some of the Clifford stuff . I got an adapter from Holley . The Clifford manifold would have made bolting things up easier but I wanted to stick with the Offy intake design .

My chip was burnt to the cam specs and it is for a vacum advance dist.
    I am building this engine for lots of torque at idle so some folks might be more apt to use differnt parts to help out the middle of the power band .
    Hollar if Ya got anymore questions , Tom

14. joarzero

joarzero Newbie

thanks for all your help tarussell, i just want to let you know tha i havent found the intake manifold :mad: but i still looking for it, if i dont found it ill be using a adapter for a 2bbl carb what do you think of this? :D

15. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

It is do-able with a 2bbl. adapter. I think Trans/Dapt makes several adapters for converting different carbs and intakes. To go the super budget route you could use a factory one-barrell intake and a T/D adapter for a 2bbl. and than an adapter that's for a 2bbl to T.B.I. set up. I have seen these two adapters put together and they mate up very well and is shorter than you would expect it to be.
    If this route is taken you will miss out on some mid range and higher RPM power but it will be leaps and bounds over the factory set up . There is always the option of opening up the throat of the intake up to match the adapter for even more airflow capability. If you are using a aftermarket 4bbl manifold than get a adapter made for some round track racers that mates a 2bbl to the spread bore/square bore pattern.

On the foriegn market stuff I found out that GM offers a port injected version of a 250 motor in Brazil. It is wild looking and very low profile but I would imagine a nightmare to locate not to mention pricey........

If you have trouble locating the adapters for the 2bbl to TBI stuff let me know and I will try to find the part numbers for you , or I can atleast get you pic's of the set up.
    HTH, Tom

16. joarzero

joarzero Newbie

thanks a lot, we will be in touch :D