Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What I work on

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by ntsqd, Jul 28, 2004.

1. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

This might not be the correct place for this post (I've no issuues with it being moved), but given the nature of my work it seemed like the best place. I'm having so much fun working on this project that I thot I'd share. I get paid an Engineer's salary to play with engines, how cool is that?

APT

The OPOC engine design is scaleable. Not sure how much I can say beyond what the page has on it so ask Q's if you've got some and I'll answer what I can.
    How about some sort of buggy powered by a bigger version of this?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

is it just a boxer style engine like Subarus? I don't see anything other than outside shots of it. I've seen comp buggy's powered by Subaru motors. If you could get your hands on a WRX motor or STi motor that owuld be a sweet powerplant for a buggy.

3. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Could you explain the 2 pistons per cylinder /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    It doesn't sound like it means two cylinders per side, so I'm a tad confused.
    And what is so revolutionary about the engine, rotary aircraft engines work on the same principle as do Ferrari flats, Porsche powerplants. . . I'm just curious what makes this one so different?

It looks like the engine a buddy of mine has in his R/C Sandpiper though, cool engine.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Thats what I'm looking for, it seems to be the same setup as has been around for a long time.

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Looks like a smaller version of a Lycoming or Continental aircraft engine. Major difference is that yours is a 2-stroke and the Lyco and Conti are 4-stroke.

Still interesting though.

6. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Not for nuthin and call me an ass if it is applicable but, this looks kinda like a really big complicated model toy gas engine all opposed n stuff. Don't get me wrong I think it's a really cool idea /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif but ain't it pretty much the same concept?

7. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

Cool! So if I am following this correctly the scale version pictured is a four piston two cylinder 2-Stroke. How are the two pistons in a single cylinder connected and how is that reciprocating assembly connected to the crank? Where are the two combustion chambers located?

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

OPOC stand for "Opposed Piston, Opposed Cylinder" meaning each of the two cylinders has two pistons in it, one at each end of the cylinder. I.E. there is NO cylinder head. Combustion takes place btwn the pistons. Connecting rods connect each piston to the single crankshaft.

I've had several friends offer to test it for us. From small motorcycles to racing Barstools. MISF hasn't shown much interest in it yet, but when he does we'll have Product Durability Testing in the bag. If he can't break it, it can't be broken.

This one should make 10-15 HP. There are much, much higher output versions being designed now.

9. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

OK, so there are TWO cylinders, and FOUR pistons. And all four pistons have con rods? How the hell is that done?!
    I guess that's probably one of the things you can't tell us, so I guess that question will be rhetorical...

10. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Outer pistons have a pair of con rods each.

11. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

OK, I can visualize that... Interesting. Much more so now that I understand it better.

12. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Fairbanks Morse has done this for a LONG time as far as I know.

Edit:

It looks like its actually completely different than an old Fairbanks Morse diesel.

13. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

The only Opposed Piston engine I could turn up searching b4 I accepted the position was a Teens or '20s era F-M with two cranks that were geared together.
    'Ours' has only one crank.