Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What if I done this

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Apr 23, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

52's using stock mounts but reverse them /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

why would you want to do that?

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

is THAT what a clean steering box looks like! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

-- A

4. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    is THAT what a clean steering box looks like! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

-- A

[/ QUOTE ]

no kidding /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

5. lifethroughdeath

lifethroughdeath 1/2 ton status

maybe it's just too late or something, but your shackle in the front (i know its a heep thing) is really bugging me out /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

nate /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Where does that locate the axle? Do you have to hack the front of the fender? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Where does that locate the axle? Do you have to hack the front of the fender? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The only hacking I done was in PhotoShop /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

But I am thinking about switching ends and running 52's (on the project truck). I could locate the axle anywhere I wanted it just by the location of the rear (solid) mount. Then I could angle the pinion back up by using longer front shackles..... So where's the problem doing it this way? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i don't see a reason why you couldnt, but im sure there is also a reason why companies are sell a reversal kit for the jeeps and ford to put the shackle in the back. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. jjlaughner

Yeah I guess /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    Probley for the ride

10. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only hacking I done was in PhotoShop /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

But I am thinking about switching ends and running 52's (on the project truck). I could locate the axle anywhere I wanted it just by the location of the rear (solid) mount. Then I could angle the pinion back up by using longer front shackles..... So where's the problem doing it this way? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

good job on the photoshop /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I though you really did the mod. I finally learened the clone tool this week in class /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif great tool.

11. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Upon spring compression the axle would move forward. That is considered a problem on Jeeps and Fords that did that from the factory. I believe the problem was in handling but I am not positive. I've always heard a fixed front mount was the better way to go but you can still do that with 52" springs up front.

12. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Then I could angle the pinion back up by using longer front shackles..... So where's the problem doing it this way?

[/ QUOTE ]

A longer shackle, in the front, is going to make the front end feel "unstable". That's the best way I can describe it. I rode in a buddy's Heep before and after he did the shackle swap (front to rear shackle), and there was a definite difference in the feel of the ride.
    Also, keep in mind that angling the front pinion up also means reducing the caster angle of the axle. This will affect your steering response and straight-line stability.