Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What if you knew you had 50 years to live?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Sep 28, 2004.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Garaunteed, no less, no more?

I may very well have only 50 years left, but I've never thought of it that way. I've never thought of a limit to my life.

There's an ultra-annoying song out that goes something like "when you've only got a hundred years to live", and it makes me think....

50 years is a long time. We have no garauntees that we'll make it that long. But if we could get a garuantee, should we take it?
    When you get down to that last year, what will be going through your mind?
    I find myself in a constant state of development. Constantly looking forward to the future, even when I'm doing standstill stuff like an amusement park with the kids. I don't know if I could handle having a set time to go, to turn off the thought of development and meet the present. I don't know if I could call life "satisfactorily completed". The kids might be raised and out of the house, I may have done plenty of "things", meaningless stuff like the bathroom might finally be finished /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif, but I couldn't stop and think this is it, time to go. I would find it very difficult to accept, even if it were unchangeable. I would hate to think I'd die angry, but I might. I can almost see myself angry with myself.
    Even given a week to live, you can't be garaunteed you know you'll go at the end of that week. It might be 2 weeks, maybe 3 days. My uncle was diagnosed and dead in 6 months with cancer in his throat (why I started taking my GERD seriously).

I know where I'll go when I'm dead, and I don't fear the reaper, although, man, my heart breaks thinking of my kids losing me.

But. Then you realize, you've never had the time. From before you're born you have the ability to die. Every moment you have a coherent thought is a moment longer than you're sure to have.

So if we're told and given a limited time to live, like 1 year or 50 years, why should we strive harder to achieve our goals? If I were told today I had 75 more years to live and the clock was ticking, I think I'd be overwhelmed with "that's not enough time". But in reality, where I'm not told I have 75 years left to live, I probably have even less time. But I don't have the feeling of "not enough time". Why should I feel more rushed with an unlikely limit, than I do with reality?
    Should we be living every year like it's our last? If we did that, would we live a richer life, or a more burned out life?

Excercise in futility...

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[ QUOTE ]
    What if you knew you had 50 years to live?

[/ QUOTE ] I'd drink to that.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

I guess that would be GOOD news in most of our cases...

You'll drink to anything...

4. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

I would jump off the empire state building /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Even better question... What if a guy who was ready to commit suicide was told he had 50 years left to live? Wonder if that would change his mind or make him more intent on doing it?

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

hmmm, interesting... I guess then it would depend on why he was convinced to do it. I would say he would be more likely to do it. I don't want to hypothesize about suicide, though. That's something that hurts too many people to be candid about.

7. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

OK... Well in answer to your question I was pondering this exact thing the other night. It made me feel glad that we don't know when it's going to happen. It also made me think about how much of my life has been wasted on trying to get ahead when I should be concentrating on just making it through the day. I now believe that each day is a new and different life. Do as much or as little with it as you wish. Just be happy while doing it... Then I go drive on the freeway or get one of my comments here deleted by some greenie and I feel like killing everyone I see for the rest of the day.

That's why I'm going to move up to the mountains away from the freeways and retire from voting..... Then I won't feel like killing everyone I see... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

8. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    hmmm, interesting... I guess then it would depend on why he was convinced to do it. I would say he would be more likely to do it. I don't want to hypothesize about suicide, though. That's something that hurts too many people to be candid about.

[/ QUOTE ]
    i think suicide is stupid, i have no remorse for those people, There was a MA2 in San Diego that killed himself about 3 weeks ago and they are burying him in Arlingtion I think that is garbage, that is a place for Heros not a place for people to weak to live in this world /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

9. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Suicide is the greatest! Dead people with no loose ends!

Anyway, 50? Guh I better get cracking

10. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya no idea how much its worth is that fair?

11. Resurrection_Joe

I'm sorry I don't understand the question, seriously, no joking

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Suicide is the greatest! Dead people with no loose ends!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's kinda trivializing something that really destroys lives (survivors, I mean). In my opinion, suicide is worse than murdering someone.
    I don't mean suicides like the nutjobs that kill a family then go kill themselves, or the people that joke about suicide, I mean the ones that do it and leave thier family wondering and falling apart.

13. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

WOW,i know excactly what your saying.with a time limmit you feel obligated to do something.in a certan time frame( wife,kids,good job,hobbies).i guess it's like me and smoking.when i have plenty i'm cool. when i'm almost out and no way of getting any i smoke twice as much thinking about it. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif human nature i guess. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

14. Resurrection_Joe

Well I said it a bit harsh but.........

Sure the family is torn up, but if they were good parents and siblings, they would have noticed and done something

Survivors? They are NOT survivors, they did not go through anything life threatening, better to say "those affected"

It's just like the post about the drunk girl, no pity there

15. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I don't think I saw the one about the drunk girl... I probably shouldn't say this now that this thread has crash landed into seriousness, but I'm suddenly thinking of an SNL skit...

[ QUOTE ]
    Survivors? They are NOT survivors, they did not go through anything life threatening, better to say "those affected"

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'm not trying to stir drama or pity or create a feeling with that word. The family of a suicide victim (or perpetrator if you prefer /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif) ARE survivors. Beware Pop culture and primetime TV shows stealing the meanings of language (not that you, of anyone, need that warning).
    When someone dies, they are "survived by" the family. The word is defined as "one who outlives another or lives through a terrible affliction". I would even say the aftermath of a suicide qualifies as "terrible affliction", although not necessarily the context of that part of the definition.
    I don't call them survivors because they fought for thier lives through some horrible calamity or endured a plane crash, I was just using english as I've learned it. "Those affected" is fairly cumbersome when I have an efficient word available...
    Anyway, the parenting comment is completely false, too. And even if it weren't, should the surviving family just be handed a plate of "you got what you deserved cause you were a sh!tty family"?
    My unspoken point was maybe you could try a little more tact for something that people may rationally or irrationally be blaming themselves for. I said at first I didn't want to get on this subject someone is in a lot of emotional pain because someone they love killed themselves. Why open and maybe pour salt in thier wounds? Especially with callous/thoughtless comments?
    Not meant in any kind of harsh of debating way, just sharing my perspective and perception so far...

Thoughtful discussion on the effects of suicide on the surviving family members? Sure, but I'm not terribly interested, and it's a thread hijack, ya bastidge...

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    There was a MA2 in San Diego that killed himself about 3 weeks ago and they are burying him in Arlingtion I think that is garbage, that is a place for Heros not a place for people to weak to live in this world

[/ QUOTE ]

He must not have deserved to be buried in Arlington at his request because he killed himself. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

17. Resurrection_Joe

I've never been a fan of tact and subtlety

I've know of a few suiciders, one was an older father who left his kids alone with a shotgun to the chest, the other some stupid whiney goth kid who had a lot going for him, and that was just an attempt

Suicide is never done by the right minded or strong, it is done by desperate emotional people who aren't cared for by themselves or others

Thanks for the sprinkling of compliments though

I will apologize for the original utterance, it was stunted and acrid

Still, your main concern seems to be with the "survivors" after the fact, not the ones I referred to, the ones who don't care during the showing signs phase. I feel sorry for people who didn't see or couldn't stop someone they cared for killing themselves,. I have no respect for that type of dead though.

18. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

ok, now take a deeeeep breath and think about life. Think about your life. Think about how much meaning it really has in this world. I am not saying to your family, I mean as a part of the equation of life. Man/women dies. Man/women are born. You will never see space travel as it should be. You will never see space travel as it should have been but perhaps the world ended the day after you died. What if the world ended the day after you die...does it really matter?

I am always perplexed at a "fixated" society cast down a "fixed" path. When I see an 89 year old reading the paper and talking about who they are going to vote for, I think, ......"have they missed life altogether?"

Live it day for day, day to day.

19. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    There was a MA2 in San Diego that killed himself about 3 weeks ago and they are burying him in Arlingtion I think that is garbage, that is a place for Heros not a place for people to weak to live in this world

[/ QUOTE ]
    He must not have deserved to be buried in Arlington at his request because he killed himself. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]your damn right that is a place reserved for heros not some punk who couldent handle life /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

20. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    When I see an 89 year old reading the paper and talking about who they are going to vote for, I think, ......"have they missed life altogether?"

[/ QUOTE ]

I thoroughly disagree. I think if you're 90 and you're thinking about who to vote for that is part of the reason you're still alive. It would be worse to say "Oh who cares who I vote for, I won't be alive long enough to see what they do anyway." That is the kind of thinking that makes life meaningless for older people. My grandparents are in their 80's and still work about 25 hours per week at a job they love (volunteers at a hospital). Part of the reason I think they have made it this far and are still able to live on their own, drive, work, etc. is the fact that they live like they are 30. They do not take their ages into consideration whatsoever. Old people who retire, then sit in their easy chair and watch TV are the ones who will be dead in 10 years.