Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What in blazes am I doing wrong on this D60?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Ok, I will post a pic later when I get the camera back from the missus. But, in the meantime, I get my new Dedenbear knuckles installed and start dry fitting the parts back together while waiting to pick up a new set of dust shields from the GM stealership. I put the caliper bracket on the knuckle, then the spindle. I throw a couple of nuts on the spindle to hold it in place. I install my races in the hub, and install the rear bearing and seal. I install the new rotors onto the hub (a thrill in and of itself as we know) and I slide the hub onto the spindle. HEY!, the @#$%&* thing won't slide all the way back to the base of the spindle. The rotor hits the caliper bracket keeping the base of the hub about 1 to 1 1/2 inches from the base of the spindle and it won't seat. I check the caliper bracket, it says L for left. I check the knuckle, it's a L for left side. The spindles are the same both sides. I check an old pic that I have of the axle when I first found it for sale, and everything looks like it is supposed to. I check a pic of the rusted rotors I threw away, and they look about the same as the new ones. What gives? My D60 BOM is 610057 which is from a 1979 K30. This is what I've been telling the parts stores all along to get my bearings, etc. The rotors I got are for a 1979 K30 and look to be the same as the ones that were on it, which I already threw away but have a pic of. Any advice, or better yet, a good pic of the knuckle, caliper bracket, spindle setup I can look at to make sure I don't have cranial rectal inversion? Could I have the wrong rotors? They look like the old pic. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

well for one thing the spindle is supposed to go on first, then the caliper brackets, Brandon had a similar problem, a few weeks ago, search this form and ther are pics in that post.

Found it take a look, Click here

3. Desert Rat

Yep, it was rectal cranial inversion alright. Went down to the auto parts store before I read the response and took a look at one of their Chilton's manuals (niceo of them to maintain a comprehensive library don't you think?). I had the spindle on after the caliper bracket. Also, when I got my loaded calipers, I pulled off that little spring that was on there that came with them. I assumed that it was just for shipping. Is it critical to keep it on, as discussed in that other thread, or is it just a 10b thing?

4. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

lol i tossed my dust shields in the trash /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

5. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    lol i tossed my dust shields in the trash /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Yep tossed mine too.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think the caliper bracket snafu on a D60 is like an initiation of sorts...ask anyone that has a D60 and has had it apart and I'd bet the majority will sheepishly admit to making the same mistake. I did it too when I got my D60...

Rene

7. Desert Rat

Good to know I'm not the only one stepping on their unit with golf shoes on occasion. I must've put that thing together about 20 times in different configurations and never hit the right combo until I peaked at a manual.

8. owen

owen 1/2 ton status

Its too bad I am the only one that actually went to the trouble to beat the little round dust ring thing on with a BFH before I realized I had them in the wrong order. I guess I didnt need that thing anyway... now, dont you feel better!

9. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Dust sheild is gone on mine too. It just makes brake inspections harder.

10. Desert Rat

Got spiffy new dust shields from the dealer. Shock of all surprises, they were the same price as LMC, about $27. I couldn't find the other small round shields anywhere, so I repaired my rusted out ones. They were mostly intact, but had some holes on one side of each one, probably the bottoms where moisture would gather. I POR-15'ed them and used some of the POR-15 fiberglass sheets to patch the holes on the outside. A couple of coats of POR-15 and they aren't bad at all. On a brighter note, my new PSC 2wd steering box, PSC P/S pump and a box from ORD with SS brake lines and my front greasable bushings came today and were patiently waiting for me on the front porch.