Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is a 307?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fireplug, Sep 6, 2005.

1. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I'm looking at a '70 Blazer, and am being told that it has the original 307 and 3spd tranny. Any idea what beast this is?

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

283 block with a large journal 327 crank in it.

3. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

ahhh I see. Thanks. Yeah I'm definitely not buying this truck for the engine but it is a hell of a deal. Pretty far from me though. Any idea what to expect as far as tranny and case?

4. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

Dana 20 t-case, I assume it'll be fine unless you decide to beat the tar out of it.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

They are more commonly known as "Boat Anchor"

6. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

not completly a boat anchor

you can put that crank into a 350 block and have yourself a 327..what some claim as the best smallblock chevy ever built! the rest boat anchor! or save for parts like rockers pushrods(assuming they are straight) and other stuff..keep the intake if it has the oil filler in front of the water neck...if you don't want it i would like it the whole motor if its going in junk pile..i really would just like the crank and the intake if it has the tall oil filler in the intake..of course i would pay shipping...look on counter balance weights to see if crank has been turned..

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have owned several 307's..

I've had at least 4 307's over the years,still running the 73 Chevelle one I put in my van!..all original,the heads have never been off--I did put a timing chain and gears in it--had 150,000+ when I yanked it from the Chevelle!..all the other ones I had ran ok--but 307's are noted for eating cam lobes!--other than that they aren't that bad a motor--they used them from 1968-1973...mostly in Nova's,Chevelles,Trucks,and some full size cars too..200HP,and 300 ft lbs of torque..with a 2 bbl carb!..

They are not as desireable as a 327 or 350,but can be built up to a respectable engine...We trashed a few in the junkyard,we had a hard time selling them--everyone wanted a 350 or 400..we ran a few out of oil and water,and ran them until they seized!--the next day,it would start right up and run about 15 minites again,until it seized again!--took a week or more to lock them up solid! :p: :crazy: