Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is a "Flange Type" Dana 60?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Flexy K20, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

What is a \"Flange Type\" Dana 60?

I have been looking for Dana 60's for sale and some of state that it is a flange type axle? What exactly is that? Thanks
    -FlExY

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: What is a \"Flange Type\" Dana 60?

That means that it isn't a full floater axle. Some rear Dana 60 applications were semi-floaters, where the axle shaft supports the weight of the vehicle.

3. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

No these were all on front Dana 60's. Thanks
    -fLeXy

4. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

means that there was a piece of machined metal where the locking hub should be. keeps the axle shafts locked in at all times. also sucks down a lot of fuel in an already gas guzzling vehicle. for the lazy at heart....like me! GM's early shift-on-the-fly transfer case /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

Can they be converted to a locking style hub? And what does it take to do so? Thanks
    -fLeXy

6. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Remove the drive flange and drop in a manual unit.

7. BigOrange90Jimmy

Like he said, just buy the hubs and put them in. It can't get any easier.

8. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

Cool thanks for the help. Later
    -fLeXy

9. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

You can't put a "normal" D60 locking hub into a flange type. You will need an external style hub to convert it. No big deal if you don't mind a slightly more unique part.

10. BigOrange90Jimmy

Why not? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Are you sure you are not thinking of a Dodge D44? D60s w/ a flange have the hub assembly and lack only a locking hub to become selectable.

12. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

Oh OK, Maybe that's what I was thinking of. Sorry for the confusion.

Will

13. Longhorn4x4

Longhorn4x4 Registered Member

If you are looking at those two on eBay, they have a different hub than most of the other Dana 60 axles. They have a hub similar to the early Dana 44 external hub used on 67 to 75 Chevy 3/4 ton trucks. They use six bolts to retain this flange, probably 3/8" bolts or studs. If you look at the second axle in the listing with the higher price, it has what looks like a set of old Selecto hubs. On those hubs, if memory serves correct, you turn the whole external hub to lock or un lock it, as noted by the grip grooves on the outside of the hub. It would be real cool to have one under my converted 70 Longhorn one ton 4x4, if those axles could use a set of old external Chevy/Dana 44 hubs.

I'd be interested in them, but he says he will not ship them, those hubs may be hard to find, the front end MAY not be upgradeable to 35 spline outers, and I'm just waiting to find a deal. He says he won't even consider shipping. ABF will ship them, but if he won't co-operate, no deal.

I have a closed knuckle Dana 70 already, and I've been told that it may possibly have Dana 60 size axles. If it does, I'll convert it to 8 lug and disc brakes, and give up searching for a cheap Dana 60.

14. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

A guy here at work has a '68 M-715 Jeep military truck with a front Dana 60. This 60 has what I would consider a flange-type front axle. Stock there is no locking hub, just a flange that bolts onto the external portion of the bearing hub (looks kind of like a 14-bolt FF hub setup). The locking hubs you can put on just bolt on from the outside.

15. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

The main thing I am concerned with is the fact of not being able to convert them to 35 spline outers. I am looking at those two and I was wondering if
    A) I can convert them to 35 spline outers
    B)Put "normal" locking hubs in them
    C)Are they 35 spline inner axles
    One is out of a 1988 Dodge Sno-Commander, and the other is out of a 1978 Sno-Commander if that helps.
    If someone could answer those that would be great. Thanks
    -fLeXy

16. Longhorn4x4

Longhorn4x4 Registered Member

First off, I THINK you could probably change the hubs to late model Chevy hubs. That would allow you to do whatever you want to those axles. Hubs meaning the entire hub the attaches to the spindle and not just the locking hubs.

I'd suggest you look real carefully into the cost of changing the hubs and other parts out. I could not even get the guy to reply to an email I sent asking if he would be willing to do anything regarding shipping them.

They're in Massachusetts, I figured out that if I could get him to ship one, it would cost me about $200 to ship them if he did his part free, and I'm in Tennessee. If he says he won't ship, you can bet he won't do anything to help for free. I'm also betting that the reserve was close to the buy it now price, if they weren't the same.

All I can tell you is that I'd be willing to bet you'd have well over $1K (closer to $1500) getting either to your door, and there's no telling what it'd cost you to get one of them ready for your truck.

I'm looking at the auctions now, and they didn't sell, and he has not relisted them.

I think you could do what you're wanting to do, it's just a matter of how much you're willing to spend. I'd guess they are 35 spline inners.

I can't get the guy to reply, if you get anything out of him, good luck to you.