Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is a good carb?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RingMaster4x4, Feb 15, 2004.

1. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am looking for a good carb. I do mostly mud so it need to work good throughout the RPM band. I have thought about a Holley Truck Avanger but not sure if will work in the higher RPMs. I had a holley 850 Double Pumper that I liked and a Street Avanger. Any info on what you use or one of the carbs I name (except the Street Avanger) would be great. Thanks.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Q-Jet all the way. If the tuning scares you have someone else do it. Mine idles over anything and starts on first bump all day all trail long. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

i'll second the vote for the QJet

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The Q-jet or that 850CFM double pumper. Q-jets are very easy to live with day after day when in good condition as far as carbs go but I am a big fan of a double pumper when you hammer on it.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

For your app. I'd say Holley 4150 double pumper all day.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have an Edelbrock and hate it. I personally can't wait to get it off and get the TBI on. So, mainly what I have to add is that whichever carb you pick, make it NOT be an Edelbrock squarebore.

7. rjfguitar

It seems like a lot of people are having problems with AFB style edelbrock carbs on angles. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It seems like a lot of people are having problems with AFB style edelbrock carbs on angles.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I had no problem with mine once I posted up and did the old "sky hook" in to the trash can(no kidding it went in the trash can) with My POS Edelbrock performer carb /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif What a wast of money that piece of trash was /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yeah no [darn], $200 down the drain, my TBI setup is gonna cost me about $500 when its over and that includes the high amp alt and the serpentine belt conversion.

10. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

I think most of the problems people have with edelbrock carbs, is trying to run at angles. I agree, they are definitely not the best carbs for that. but, I think if you're gonna run mostly mud, an edelbrock performer is a great carb. I've never had any problems with mine, and you don't even have to tune em...just bolt em on and go. just depends on what you really wanna do with it I guess. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

11. rjfguitar

If someone only does mud running why stop with an edelbrock AFB style? I would rather have a double pumper feeding a motor plenty in the higher RPM range. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

12. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thanks for the input guys. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I think that I am going to go back the the Double Pumper. Thanks

13. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for the input guys. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I think that I am going to go back the the Double Pumper. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]sweet! /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif