Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is a good GPS unit?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by divorced, Jan 25, 2005.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I searched here for gps and found no results. What are some good gps units? What should I look for when shopping? Does it cost anything to use the gps unit (satellites)? Here are a few I found on ebay. Tell me what is good/bad about them. Thanks.

ebay 1

ebay 2

ebay 3

ebay 4

2. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I just got the Meridan Gold and I am really happy with it. It is a bit less exspencive than those four, but it is nice. Are you looking for a color one, or do you care?

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

It doesn't have to be color. I don't know how they work or what they do. The only GPS I have ever seen in person was on a cargo plane (it looked cool with a pic of the plane on the screen). Does your's tell you when to turn? And how fast you're going? Is it free to use?

Thanks.

4. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I have a Garmin eTrex, the bottom of the line model, and I love it. I bought my dad the eTrex Venture lat year, and I like the additional features it has over mine, like the ability to pan on the map screen. It is free to use and is very accurate in telling you how fast you are going. You can log your trail as you go explore somewhere, and then use it to "backtrack" and it will lead you out the way you came in. I have some mapping software as well (TOPO), and that is cool to upload saved tracks to your comp. and see them on an actual USGS topographical map. It is one of the funnest toys I have.

5. kd7kmp

kd7kmp Registered Member

You need to ask yourself how you will be using the GPS (there is no service fee to use a GPS). Will it be for use in remote areas? What about highway driving? Will you use it when on foot or just in the truck/car? How much are you willing to pay for one?

I have used several brands and always came back to Garmin. Their units are rock solid and have a good feature content. I needed a unit that will accept topo maps and has good screen resolution as I spend A LOT of time in the middle of nowhere. Right now I have a GPSMAP 76CS. It has a bright color screen and can accept 115 mb of maps from Garmin's Mapsource software. It has USB and serial connectivity. The USB is great for loading 100 mb of maps. It also has a connection for an external antenna. I use it on foot, in the car and truck, on and off the road. It cost me about $435 on ebay a year ago. Right now it's the best unit for me. Check out www.garmin.com

Kevin