Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is a good spinning reel brand?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by afroman006, Apr 10, 2004.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Right now my main light spinning real rod is a Penn 4400SS mounted on an Uglystick Graphite rod (all graphite, no fiberglass). I dont like it. The anti-reverse on the reel goes out alot requiring the reel to be completely disassembled to squeez two little tabs back together and the action on the rod sux. I'm going to get an AllStar Graphite rod but dont know what kind of reel to get. I was thinkin Shimano but I dont know which one. Anyone have any recomendations? I'm looking for something in the 8 pound test range. Thx

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i have a shimano, not sure witch model, but never had a problem with it.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

My 40+ year old Mitchell reel is still going strong. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I've got a newer Shimano for fresh water that I really like. It operates VERY smoothly. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Ya really cant go wrong with shimano. (if you have the budget for it).

I dont catch/have time to fish that much, so I got a cheaper shakespere reel. It aint nearly as nice as the shimano.

As for sticks... you need to look at the material composition more than anything else- most will have a label imbeeded into the side of the stick, which will tell a.

ugly stick is not a bad one acutally. THe ones I felt were all generally pretty stiff for the shorter ones (less than 6 ft). If your only using a 8lb line, I'd consider something with a little bit more feel.

I also kinda like spider wire. Been using it for the past two years, havent really looked back. Sometimes it is quite annoying though, as the spider wire has virtually no weight of its own, it tends to get tangly. However, The strength of the line is AMAZING.

I was hooking a large mouth once... and then was fighting with the fish- the fish seemed to have gotten itself lodged int he weeds ot something.. so I kept trying to dislodge it...

Wouldnt you know it, the freakin ROD snapped. My bad of course. But still, it was a 10-12lb rod, running 10lb line. The line just did not snap.

6. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I just noticed where you're from, I grew up kinda' near there (McAllen). I am assuming you mean for light saltwater rig? In that case there is a newer Ugly Stik Ultra Lite that works pretty well for the specks and reds, although that Penn 4400SS would have been my choice for saltwater. You may want to check out your warranty options, I've had one for 15 years that has never given me any problems, just not sensitive enough for ultra-lite mtn. trout. Send it back to the factory, or at least give them a call.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have some Abu Garcia, Daiwa, Southbend, and Shakespeare, all with ball bearings . I like the Daiwa and Abu Garcia best out of those. All mine get lubed and cleaned often and have had no problems with those. I prefer baitcasters now though /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. afroman006

Yup I'm 100% salt water, not just light duty though /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif. I used this rod a couple summers ago to catch a 10 pound bonito offshore. Holy crap was that a fight. I also have an Abu Garcia 4500 on an Abu Garcia Conolon rod with spiderwire on it and I love it for heavier lures like spoons and topwaters but for lighter jigs and such it cant cast far enough. I'm lookin at Shimano real heavily and am prety much dead set on an AllStar graphite rod, they are extremely popular around here and have awsome actions. I dont think the anti-reverse is a warranty repair, it happens alot, so I designate it a poor design. thx for the tips.

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I dont think the anti-reverse is a warranty repair, it happens alot, so I designate it a poor design.

[/ QUOTE ]
    It won't hurt to call and ask. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif They may have a newer design part that will end the problem. I bought a cheap fly reel several years ago at Walmart for $39. When I got home I called the manufacturer to see about getting a couple of spare spools for it, so I could carry different weights of line in the tackle box, ready to install. I told the lady what I was looking to buy, she took my name and address, and sent me two of them FREE! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yup I'm 100% salt water, not just light duty though /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif. I used this rod a couple summers ago to catch a 10 pound bonito offshore. Holy crap was that a fight. I also have an Abu Garcia 4500 on an Abu Garcia Conolon rod with spiderwire on it and I love it for heavier lures like spoons and topwaters but for lighter jigs and such it cant cast far enough. I'm lookin at Shimano real heavily and am prety much dead set on an AllStar graphite rod, they are extremely popular around here and have awsome actions. I dont think the anti-reverse is a warranty repair, it happens alot, so I designate it a poor design. thx for the tips.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like a hell of a fight! I've been in Colorado for 10 years and I'm still hunting for the elusive 10 LB mountain trout. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

11. afroman006

LoL I've been fishing for mountain trout once and was suprised to catch fish that we would use as bait for real trout back home. Sure were tasty though /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif.

12. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Yep, nothing like a little brook trout and eggs for breakfast when you're camping.

Hey, maybe I should try throwin' a big fat live gulf shrimp in the line up here, I bet a nice lake trout would think that was a hell of a meal! Maybe I could get my 10 pounder after all.

13. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

Whatever you go with, get one with contiunous anti reverse. They are hard to find on spinners but you can set hooks easy on even the slightest nibble. My ultra light abu has this. Quantums are good for the price. My rod is a fiberglass bass pro shops cheapo. It has a nice cork handle and I love the flex for casting in tight spots and making a 15" bass feel like an 8 pounder! It was only 29 bucks and the reel was like 40 or so.

14. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

I would go with a Shimano or Abu Garcia. Either one of them have many different models in price ranges and they are all good reels. AllStar rods are great rods. I use mostly them when I fish in tournaments. The rods are great and come with a lifetime warranty and will stand by the warranty if you have a problem.

15. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

i bought an abu last year and it is the best. smooth operation /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

16. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

17. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

Toll my sone to the Island to do some surf fishing. I realizeed that we were using a Penn, a Shimano and a Okuma.
    They are all about the same with normal fish. I just have the feeling that the Shimano would hold up under a really BIG fish though.

/forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif