Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what is a good tbi 454 setup??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5texan, Dec 24, 2002.

1. k5texan

k5texan 1/2 ton status

i have an 89 454 and definitely want to keep the fuel injection. i want to just build a decent motor but want it to perform good with fuel injection. do i need certain heads or will any work with EFI. i was wanting around 500 or so ft/lbs of torque and around 350 hp. any input is appreciated.
    thanks
    jared

2. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

If you want to go with rectangle port (which you prolly dont) then the LS-6 heads are the best. If you want oval port, there is another head that GM makes but I forgot the casting #, they might be the LT-1 heads but I'm not sure??? Anyone know??? One thing you definatley want to looke for is the 2.19" intake valve (I forgot the corresponding exhaust vale size but if you get that intake valve size you should be set /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif) There are several books out there about hot rodding BBC's. The one I have is called "How to hod rod Big Block Chevy's" and was published in 1972 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. I do want to get one or two more BBC books though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. JAXSTER

JAXSTER 1/2 ton status

Can you say"Arizona Marine" /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif <font color="red"> </font color> !

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

If one were to look at swapping heads, I would not use LS6 heads since they can be hard to find if you look for originals. I know there are aftermarket heads available to replace these but if one were to retain the use of oval ports and cast iron heads, I would buy the World Products Merlin heads. These have been proven on a dyno and bench tested to outflow and outperform ANY LS6 head, stock or modified. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. k5texan

k5texan 1/2 ton status

so you dont have to use heads that are dedicated just to EFI?

6. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I believe Edelbrock makes a nice set and gives your more compression made for the newer engines. Most BBC aftermarket heads have 110cc+ chambers which will reduce your compression less than the factory heads.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/index.html
    Designed for 396, 427 &amp; 454 (7.4L) c.i.d. engines, these 100cc semi-open chamber alum. heads feature a 1-1/2° rolled over (angle milled) design that improves intake port alignment and provides a smaller combustion chamber without shrouding the valves. The 100cc combustion chambers are coupled with the same size valves and ports as the #6045 Performer RPM heads, producing 9.2:1 compression with flat-top pistons for an outstanding high performance street head. When used on 1987-up TBI equipped 7.4L dished piston motors they produce an 8.8:1 compression ratio and made over 450 ft/lbs. torque when combined with our Multi-Point EFI System. The heads also feature an exhaust crossover passage for 50-state emission legal status (E.O. #D-215-46). Available assembled with high quality components: one piece stainless steel, 2.19" intake and 1.88" exhaust valves: ARP 7/16" diameter rocker studs, bronze guides and ductile iron seats with 3-angle valve job. Features stock port locations, 9/16" deck thickness and heli-coils in the rocker stud and exhaust bolt holes. Mark IV rocker arms and valvetrain parts required.

The problem is your EFI system after you do the head swap. You'll need to upgrade to bigger injectors and have your system reprogrammed (places like Arizona Speed can do this) or get something like Edelbrocks or Holley EFI system. It's not cheap.

7. afroman006

LoL well remember the book that I got most of my info from was published in 1972! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif How much would an unassembled set of those merlin heads cost?

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Unassembled Merlins, from Summit Racing, there are a few to choose from:

1. [image]http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=31553[/image]

2. [image]http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=26176[/image]

3. [image]http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=31554[/image]

4. [image]http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=31555[/image]

If those don't show up, copy and paste the addys to your address bar to view the prices. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. afroman006

Thx, I think the best lookin ones are the second, oval ports and the 2.19" intake valves. Obviously the 2.30" intake valves would provide a bit more flow but, the valves are more expensive and harder to find. Now, how bout some of them titanium valves...$80 a piece! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Keeping in mind that he's looking for fairly mild big block numbers, wouldn't it be safe to say that a small cam, a set of headers, intake manifold and the appropriate injectors and chip would make this power level? He may need to deck the stock heads to bring the compression up but this would sure be cheaper than a new set of heads.
    I'm looking at a similar recipe for my tow rig and am also looking for roughly 350HP and 500ft-lb and it seems like it's possible without new heads or bottom end mods. Basically I'm looking for best return on time and money starting with a relatively low miles stock motor.

I'd like to get really carried away but at this point I need simple and relatively cheap so I can build several more vehicles this spring. In the ideal world I'd look for ported large oval heads with bigger valves and a balanced short block with a multi-point EFI, yada, yada, yada. But I'm not ready to pull it out of my K5 yet.

11. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I am building a motor for similar purposes (high torqu, med. HP)...Here what I am doing...

-1992 454 TBI, 4-bolt main
    -Stock reconditioned crank
    -Crane 2020 cam (low duration/lift cam) same a GMPP Truck Torque Cam
    -Speed-Pro Flat Top hyperutectic pistons with coated skirts
    -Eagle ESP rods (got a smokin deal, couldn't pass em up /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif)
    -Stock heads, reconditioned with a 3-angle valve job, light port and polish, and decked .010"
    -Edelbrock timing chain
    -ported TBI from turbo City

That makes up by BBC...I will let you know how it runs and what other things were needed when I get it in this spring.

Chris

12. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

If you have a carb'd engine with stock heads and intake, you can contact John @ www.customefis.com. He makes a GM EFI system that will bolt to your non-EFI'd BBC engine for $1140. I would know. I just bought one! It should be here this Tuesday! It is a pretty good price too! With this system, you dont have to shell out for a new set of heads either! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Once I receive my stuff, I'll grab a few pics and post them up for everyone!

Just my .02...

-Dan

13. k5texan

k5texan 1/2 ton status

thanks for all the advice i think i will just put a better cam and a good intake and exhaust for now until it needs a rebuild then really do some damage to it.
    thanks
    jared