Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is a GOV LOCK?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mr7dblzero, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Mr7dblzero

Mr7dblzero Registered Member

I have a 14 Bolt rearend on my 1985 Suburban and I wanted to know what is a GOV LOCK and how could i tell if I have one? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

A Gov-Lock is a POS. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

3. Mr7dblzero

So is it like a Locker or something?

4. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    What Westy is telling to tell you is that it(gov-lock) is in retail words a POS(Point Of Sale)......Uhh No that's not it.It's A Piece Of Sh*T!GM's version of a locker...Look out there she blows!!!LOL /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Mike

5. Mr7dblzero

Thanks guys for the info I guess I gotta get a locker or something then. Mahalo (Thank You)

6. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

yeah it's kind of a limited slip, they're not that great mine's starting to suck now. sometimes it won't lock some times it won't un lock.

7. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

What the others may have failed to say is that it is a limited slip unit built by Eaton.....a VERY loose limited slip unit..... let me rephrase that.....apiece3 of SH*T, not fit to be a boat anchor.
    Hope that helps /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If its in a 1985 Sub its probably a 14 bolt semi-floater (9.5 ring gear). I have been running a GOV-LOK in two different trucks in a 14 Full-floater (10.5 ring gear)and they both work great in rocks, mud and snow. They have not been babied.

9. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

um yeah I have given my gov-lock (14FF) some abuse and its held up. It does a pretty good job of locking, and no its not limited slip, that is misleading. its a locker but it takes some real wheelspin for it to lock. its much different than a detroit. Not nearly as strong, but it works. Could break tomorrow, could last another 25 years

mike

10. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Mine works pretty good--AS LONG AS YOU HAVE 14 oz's OF POSI LUBE AND NOT 7!!! then it sucksssss.

rob

11. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Let's clear up the mis-information here:
    Gov-lock is not a LSD. It is a locker, meaning that when it engages, both shafts are locked together with no slip allowed. It does this by centrifugal force. The differential is 100% open until one wheel spins faster than the other by a certain amount. Then it locks the two sides together. It unlocks when you reach a certain speed (by overall speed of the carrier) or after you have removed all of the load from it.

They have a general reputation for being junk, based mostly on blown-up 1/2-ton units. Generally they hold up a lot better in the 3/4-ton and 1-ton versions (i.e. 14B S/F and 14B F/F). You have to consider that open 10-bolts blow up fairly regularly too, so chances are that the gov-lock doesn't deserve all of the blame that it's given. Plus, there are millions more miles on these than people have on their aftermarket differentials, so overall age and wear is against them.

Advantages: 100% transparent on the street, better than a LS or locker. Unlocks at higher speeds, making cornering safer than with a locker. Gives full locking, which is better than a LS. Available in most junkyards. No gear setup required if you just swap the axle.

Disadvantages: Weaker than some other options (especially in the 10-bolt), You have to spin a wheel to get it to engage. This can be difficult on the rocks and get let you dig a hole under a tire that a locker/spool would not. You may not be able to stay locked at higher speeds. This is great on the road, but could be a problem in mud holes or sand, depending on how much you're spinning. The carriers are usually different than the open diff units, so you probably won't be able to pop in a lock-rite or Detroit (14BFF).

12. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Nice post Blue. When I opened this, I was wondering why it would take 10 replies to answer that simple question.

Oh, and on the '85 Burb, look in the glove box for the RPO code G80. That indicates that you have a Gov-lock.

13. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I was wondering if anybody had a picture of a 14bFF gov loc installed in the axel, I haven't had my truck offroad yet so I don't know if I have one. Oh, Blue, what part of Michigan do you live in?

14. jstevenj

jstevenj Registered Member

You can probably jack one back wheel off the ground and see if the truck will pull itself off the jack. At least the on I used to have in a 10 bolt would.

15. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

It's a goofy locker.

Do a search and there will be directions to tell if you've got a Gov-Loc. The easiest way to tell is to pull those 14 bolts and have a look-see. It's also an incentive to put a few quarts of fresh oil in.

A Gov-Loc pretty much works on centrifugal force to engage it. In theory it should only take a couple mph to get it to engage but in reality a sloppy one or one with springs that are too tight won't engage until a tire is going ~10mph. They disengage at about 35mph with 235x75R15 tires and 3.42 gears on a 10 bolt and 245x75r16 and 3.73 gears on a 14FF. A blip of the throttle will usually encourage them to engage and if you get up to ~30mph you can get it to disengage by unloading the drivetrain (let off the stupid pedal).

The pieces in them are really small. On a ten bolt they're even smaller. They just itch to grenade, hence the "grenade-loc" name they've earned, when people abuse them. When I mean abuse, I mean abuse. A Torsen differential will go AWOL just as easily as a Gov-Loc.

A 14FF with a Gov-Loc in it will handle 33" tires without a problem. It'll even handle the classic spin-one-tire-like-mad-on-gravel-and-then-hit-dry-asphalt move. This is what usually kills the Gov-Loc. It's also the #1 killer of 10 bolts (including open differentials). "eh mon, ain't these spider gears on my ten bolt supposed to have teeth?" "nah d00d, that's just unnecessary unsprung weight and it ain't nothin' a Lincoln can't fix!" "eh mon, my ring gear is missing teeth too!" "that ain't matter none, it just adds this cool clicking sound that makes people think you've got a real detroit!"

I've lived in northern Michigan too long. "you know you're a yooper when the only way left to balance your tires is to cut off lugs".

I forgot to mention, I have pictures somewhere of a 14FF with a Gov-Loc and 40" TSLs on the ends of it. It became a Grenade-Loc and the cover had some mean looking outward dents. A local guy told me he's seen a cracked case from a Gov-Loc going AWOL. I'd think the pinion gear would bust off before this happens on a 14FF though so I don't know if I'd believe him.

16. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

17. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    These are the same Gov lock, different angles!

Here, the best way to tell is by counting the dents/holes in teh side of the ring gear. These are the pivot points(mounting shafts) for the spiders or locker plates inside.. A gov-lock has 3 holes, an open carrier or Detriot has 4!!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

18. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I was told this is a GOV LOC.It's in my 71's 12 bolt.
    [​IMG]

19. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

I tell ya, heres what I hate- on the trails, it will lock up fine and both rear tires will be digging, then you stop to change lines and it wont lock back up unless you have ALOT of wheel spin. Gets pretty old.

rob

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have one in my 14 SF and if I keep the axle I'm gonna weld it cause I'm sick of it acting up.

Mine likes to do all kinds of funny locking-unlocking maneuvers when I'm spinning my tires hard in the mud.

I'd bet if it was a 10 bolt one, it would have came apart by now.