Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is a newly rebuilt Q-jet installed and tuned worth?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Topdown, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

The guy that worked on my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif today thinks that I will/would be much happier with a Q-jet instead of the Holley I now have. He said he would sell me a newly rebuilt "tuned for my engine" installed, etc... Q-jet for $175.00 OR he said he may be willing to trade me a carb or two for the Q-jet.

Thoughts? Would a Q-jet be better for day to day driving? (I have a spread bore intake) Whats a good Q-jet worth?

Thanks

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

sounds like a hell of a good deal i paid $240 for my brand new edelbrock /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

I just paid $120 for mine from a carb shop we use at work. All rebuilt and ready to bolt on. I think $175 installed and adjusted is a good deal if it's been rebuilt including throttle shaft bushings. They are good on the street (better mileage, not quite as much power as a Holley, about the same power as a AFB) Off road is where a Q-jet is king. Poor man's fuel injection /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thanks!

5. T-ROY

T-ROY 1/2 ton status

You're dealing with Pete at AA Carb, right? He rebuilt the Q-Jet that is on my pickup and I have loved it. I'm just about to have him do the carb on my Burb. He really does a good job. If you can find an electric choke model, you'll be better off. I have one in my garage and one on the Burb. Talk to me before you buy and I might be able to save you some money.

6. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

hey man,

that 175 was for an electric choke model... but either way, whatchu got? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. T-ROY

T-ROY 1/2 ton status

The carb I have is a 650 Q-jet rebuilt by Pete. I used to work in the truck shop right next door to him and one of the guys I worked with bought it for his car. He could never get it to work right (he had a lot of issues), so he pulled it and I got it. I've never run it, and have planned to use it somewhere, but times are tough. Let me know what you think.
    T-roy