Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is a normal amount of body flex?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76_Cheyenne, Apr 17, 2002.

1. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

I have a 1976 K10 1/2ton and I am experiencing an unusual amount of body flex. This week I was wheeling in the Moses Lake Sand Dunes and got stuck fully articulated with one rear tire off the ground and the truck body and bed flexed around 6-9 inches, somewhere around there. For some reason this doens't sound right. The bed made large scratches on the body for rubbing it while articulated. Also the steering coulum was all messed up and I could't get the tranny in the gears i wanted because the coulum was so twisted. I know my steering box area isn't broken and I got a brace there. It all lines back up almost straight, the way it has alway been, and drives fine once it was level again. Could this be do to bad body mounts? Any other ideas? Im afraid im going to twist the frame. any ideas would help a lot, thanks.

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

If you still have the rubber mounts, that is certainly part of your problem! Also, you might want to look for body mount holes that might have pulled thru... mine started flexing like that after I pulled thru two mount holes on opposite corners. I'd swap the mounts with a new poly set, and see what that does for you... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Just my .02

-Dan

3. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Pickups will have more frame flex than Blazers. And I've noticed that stepside beds will allow for more frame flex than fleetsides. And it makes it even worse if your suspension is kinda stiff - cuz the frame flexes instead of the suspension when you get in a twisty spot.

The best way to solve it is to add a full rollcage that ties down to the frame somehow. Softer springs will also help some. Left alone, the frame will flex enough to allow the bed to hit the body again. I don't think you can hurt the frame by flexing, just gonna dimple the body where the bed hits.

Marv

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

My old stepside bed mauled the back of my cab with a three inch body lift. The only way I could see to fix it would be to strengthen the frame somehow. I ended up selling it and buying a K5 but not only for that reason......

5. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

6. 76_Cheyenne

Thats almost how much flex was on my truck, maybe just a tad less.

7. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Well, I was going to come in here and moan cause mine flexed enough today to prevent me from opening the drivers door due to the front fender binding with it... but after that Skyjacker link... I've got it good. What I hate the most is when you get crossed up and hear the roof sheet metal pop as it distorts. I decided the cage was a necessity today when I exited through the passenger door.

8. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Well...I flexed my blazer so much this past Saturday that I trashed my top. My old 77 short wide used to flex like a futher mucker too, but it would straighted right up as soon as it was level. There isn't too much you can besides what Marv said. Other than that, you live with it and don't do stuff where you'll flex that much, or you live with the body/bed contact.

9. 1bad82k5

1bad82k5 1/2 ton status

I flexed mine up enough to crack the fiberglass top. Also, when i pulled my headliner i found two cracks. They are in the roof right behind the wing window. There is one on each side of the cab, and they are about 6 to 8 inches long, and steadily progressing.
    eric

10. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

That's a good reason why I'm NOT a fan of frame flex. Although an UNpopular opinion /forums/images/icons/blush.gif (or so it seems); I think that flexing should be left to the suspension which is made of spring steel; not the body & frame! My new frame is 2x5 3/16" steel tube which will also have an 8-pt cage further stiffening it from the engine bay all the way to the tailgate.
    This has come up many times in the past & I'll still weigh my vote in on the side of a stiff frame & flexy suspension! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    I'd say box it or mount a cage or do something to stiffen it up!

11. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Registered Member

you can always try to box the frame by welding or bolting metal between the frame in different sections. i too have the frame flex, but don't really care about body damage. i am going to use some 3x3 angle iron to beef up the frame sometime in the future. i'll put up pix

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Damn, was that all it flexed? My buds 78 I have seen the bed mounted roll bar look like it was 45 degrees to the cab. I had a picture...I'll try to find it and post it somewhere /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    That's normal for a truck. You could do a full tied to the frame gage through the fire wall and the back of the cab to stop it but your going to have to do some major suspension mods to get the wheel flex.

13. 76_Cheyenne

So this is normal then. That makes me feel better. So I don't need to worry about anything breaking? well I guess I always have to worry about things breaking when the trucks this old, but as far as broken frames? I dont mind the scratches on the cab.

14. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Big place to watch out for frame breakage is around the steering box. also need to go over the frame and make sure it isn't blowing out the rivits that are used to hold the cross members to the main rails.
    As for as it cracking....yeah it can happen most of the time it's not the frame in the rear that crackes it the front where the frame starts comming up to go over the front axle. That's where I have seen them cracked. I think it's because the cab limts the frame twisting at that point so it becomes a high stree area.

15. 76_Cheyenne

Ok good, Im not really worried about over the steering box because I have a frame brace. But ill check the rivets. I have a picture of the flex so ill try to get that up.