Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is a plasma cutter?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by derek2002, Aug 17, 2000.

1. derek2002

derek2002 1/2 ton status

Everybody always talks about trimming fenders with a plasma cutter, or they wish they had a plasma cutter... What the heck is a plasma cutter? How much do they cost? Also, what is a "bobbed" Chevy.... Thanks for making me a little less ignorant.

Later-

-Derek
    1977 3/4 Ton & Blazer Project (Body Needed)
    http://www.4chevy.com

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

You hook up a line to your veins and it pumps your blood through the line and then heats it and it cuts super hot!

LOL! Sorry couldn't resist.

No, it is simlar to a set of torches but uses air from a compressor also and it gives you a real fine/clean cut. It may use a different type of ga than torches also.

They are usually expensive, like $1K.....

I have only seen them used once, so some of this may be wrong.

Mike
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A plasma cutter is like an elctric torch. When you pull the trigger, an electric flame (for lack of a better description) is created with a jet of compressed air blowing through a small hole in the center of the tip. Very similar to a torch. The advantage is that there is no pre-heat before cutting so you can cut very thin metal cleanly and with no distortion. Most cuts are cool to the touch within a minute or so. There is also very little slag on the edges of the cut and what there is just knocks right off without extensive grinding. They are simple to use and hook up just like an arc-welder with a ground clamp. The only scary part is that the electric 'flame' is about 30,000 degrees and can't differentiate between steel and your hand. So you have to be careful and never point it at anything other than what you are cutting.

[​IMG]

4. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Plasma cutters r sorta like a cutting torch. Except they don't make as much of a mess (when i use it). They use compressed air and electricity, no other gas, to cut. They make the most beautiful cuts. Oh i've gotta get one!

A bobbed chevy would be taking a truck (like mine, a longbox pickup) and whacking off the rear of the entire truck from the back of the wheelwells.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

5. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

I believe they used alot to cut through stainless steel.

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

6. 65FL

65FL Registered Member

The question is answered above, but who cares? The name sounds so cool.
    It just rolls off your tongue. "Plasma Cutter." Sort of like a tacheyon adapter.

65fl

7. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

tRustyK5 is right on the money, they r great except that they run off a 220 outlet and sometimes that sucks.

Professional JEEP EATER, it's a population control thing

8. BigBurban

BigBurban 1/2 ton status

Just in case you're left with an image of a truck with no tail lights... [​IMG] Bobbing is usually cutting the tail section of the bed off, shortening the rear of the bed by removing a certain length, and then butt welding the tail section back on. VIOLA! A "Bobbed" bed. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    http://www.geocities.com/crash607

9. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

Plasma cutters do use compressed air, but the air is turned into extremely hot ions which is an instantaneous heat. Nothing needed other than electricity and around $800+........ I want one myself.

Love, Peace, and Hair Grease...........