Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is a Tornado???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddin4fun, Mar 27, 2001.

1. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I saw a reply by Chevycagal and it sparked my intrest. For you smart a$$es, I don't mean the weather. If I didn't say that I would have left myself wide open! Ha ha!!!

[​IMG]

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com>http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com</A>

2. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

Um, are you talking about the name "Toranado" or "Tonawanda" (sp?) on some engines? eh? :) Ooooh goody, its time to go home. :) :) :) Sorry to be so brief.

One From None

3. muddin4fun

Tornado is what I heard it called. I get to go home in 2 1/2 hours so quit teesin'!!!

[​IMG]

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com>http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com</A>

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think it is some airflow thing that goes in your aircleaner or something...I think the airflow causes it to spin...[​IMG]
    Looks a little like a complicated pinwheel.

Rene

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

K@N makes them, it supposed to help the intake by "shaping" the air. I don't see how it makes a difference, but I'm not an engineer. "I just play one at work when the real engineers screw up"!

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

6. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

The Toronado goes inside the aircleaner. It supposed to help the intake pull more air in by making it spin like a toronado. There was an article it Peterson's 4 Wheel and Offroad last month where they were trying out different gimmicks to get cheap horsepower. The Toronado didn't create as much horsepower as some of the other gimmicks but it was a lot cheaper and easier to install. It was about the only thing you could use on our K5's because the article was for a 2000 Chevy truck.

7. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I've got one of those. It's a 230ci straight 6 in my '64 Wagoneer!

8. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Hey....it's a small metal item that is round and about 3 inches high that fits in where your air cleaner goes (in the middle of it). The bottom is open and the top has a piece of metal over it. The sides have pieces of metal angled in to catch the air flow and make it spin. It's odd looking. When I opened the box my first thought it was what Xena used to kill folks on her show. It was $15 bucks (plus $3.20 shipping) off of eBay so I thought I would buy it so see if it would do anything. Since my beast is dead until the headers are shipped I have no idea what it will do? There was a write up in one of the 4 wheel magazines about it. Didn't sound like they thought much of it though. But hey maybe it'll work for me? I mean different vehicles different results. I'll let you know if I can see anything different in using it. I am betting it might turn out to be nothing more then a pinwheel on steroids! :-)

Stephanie
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

"I love the sound rice burners make when ya run over them"

9. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

I'm more interested in it for the possible gas mileage gains. Thats why i did the K&N. Let us know if it helps the gas mileage at all. I'm sure I'm not the only K5er that dislikes the single digit mpg ;)

Dan, '86 K5, 5.0L v8, NP208, TH700R4, open 10bolts front and rear, 3.43gearing, K&N filter, 31x10.50R15 Trailhandlers

10. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Actually I saw one at the 4x4 place I go to. And also saw a slick gimmick to show how it works. Which as an engineer , seems to make sense. They had taken 2 @ 2 liter pop bottles filled one about 3/4 full of water and connected them together by the mouth with a coupling. Now if you invert the bottles like a hourglass the water will flow through the mouth of the top bottle to the bottom bottle. It is how it flows that makes the difference, now if left alone the water dribbles down, gurgling and taking some time to empty down, but if you cause the water to swirl it flows down in a very fast fashion.
    Now they apply this to the air going into your carb. Does it really work? I have no idea...but I will try one on for size and let ya'll know....

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by eagle86k5 on 03/27/01 08:00 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

11. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> The pop bottle example is correct. It's all in the flow of the liquid that improves the amount and rate in which it is delivered to the lower bottle. Less resistance = improved flow.

L8r,
    . Riz . <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</A>

[​IMG]

12. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I think what they're trying to do is get the airflow to "funnel" its way into the carb or TBI. Sorta like the whirlpool in the drain of your bathtub. For carb people, it <font color=blue>may<font color=black> help keep the fuel in suspension, rather than wetting the walls of your intake. Not sure if the effect would be as great with a TBI.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

13. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I have no idea about the affect in an automotive intake but I don't buy the pop bottle example. In that example, air from the lower bottle must be displaced into the upper bottle as the liquid is transferred to the lower. The back and forth equalization is what causes the glug, glug, glug affect when the two bottles are allowed to just work out the transfer. I'm not sure how they did the swirl in the bottles but I suspect it created a vortex with a hollow center allowing the air and fluid to travel in opposite directions simultaneously. This would dramatically affect the flow rate but you could do the same thing with a long soda straw running from the top of the bottom bottle to the bottom of the top bottle.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

14. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

Oops, Toranado is a car :/

One From None

15. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Bad dog that is exactly how it was done, but the liquid is different form air. Now, if in fact, the Tornado can cause a predisposition of the incoming air, prior to the transient flow into the intake, and effect a monetary savings at the dispensation or influx of petroleum products into our vehicles, remains to be seen. But to reiterate I believe it to be worth a try due to , primarily, the minimal impact monetarily to ones person.

16. BadDog

Hehe, sad thing is, I actually understood that except for the part about "predisposition". [​IMG]

Bad Dog

17. BadDog

Oh, and I guess I forgot to get around to my point about not buying into that example when I made my earlier post. My point was supposed to be that there is no back-and-forth affect to slow down the air going in when we are talking about the tornado device. Their example is comparing apples and oranges. Seems to me like the only benefit would be the turbulence helping to atomize the fuel and then maintain the fuel in suspension.

Bad Dog

18. muddin4fun

Ya'll have lost me.[​IMG]. Does it give more hp? yes or no will be sufficiant. LOL!!!

[​IMG]

19. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

It's supposed to give more HP and improve gas mileage...again the key word here is supposed too...so I'll shall see. I got a deal though. I saw it on the JCWhitney site for $65! I dunno if I would pay that much for it? But again if it does up my MPG I might invest in them for that much for the rest of our family vehicles since gas it about $1.70 a gallon here now....

"I love the sound rice burners make when ya run over them"

20. BadDog

Yes or no? How about, I don't have a clue, only suspicions... The tests in Peterson's (?) indicated that the benefit was pretty minimal on their test mule but that was a late model Vortek if I recall correctly.

Bad Dog