Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WHAT IS A VETERAN?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Chevit, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

I do not know if this a repost but if it is I think it should be posted again...

Some veterans bear visible signs of their service: a
    > missing limb, a jagged scar, a certain look in the eye.
    > Others may carry the evidence inside them, a pin holding a
    > bone together, a piece of shrapnel in the leg - or perhaps
    > another sort of inner steel: the soul's alloy forged in the
    > refinery of adversity.
    >
    > Except in parades, however, the men and women who have
    > kept America safe wear no badge or emblem. You can't tell
    > a vet just by looking. What is a vet?
    >
    > A vet is the cop on the beat who spent six months in Saudi
    > Arabia sweating two gallons a day making sure the armored
    > personnel carriers didn't run out of fuel.
    >
    >
    > A vet is the barroom loudmouth, dumber than five wooden
    > planks, whose overgrown frat-boy behavior is outweighed a
    > hundred times in the cosmic scales by four hours of
    > exquisite bravery near the 38th Parallel.
    >
    > A vet is the nurse who fought against futility and went to
    > sleep sobbing every night for two solid years in Da Nang.
    >
    > A vet is the POW who went away one person and came back
    > another - or didn't come back at all.
    >
    > A vet is the drill instructor who has never seen combat -
    > but has saved countless lives by turning slouchy,
    > no-account punks and gang members into marines, airmen,
    > sailors, soldiers and coast guardsmen, and teaching them
    > to watch each other's backs.
    >
    > A vet is the parade-riding Legionnaire who pins on his
    > ribbons and medals with a prosthetic hand.
    >
    > A vet is the career quartermaster who watches the ribbons
    > and medals pass him by.
    >
    > A vet is the anonymous heroes in The Tomb Of The
    >
    > Unknowns, whose presence at the Arlington National
    > Cemetery must forever preserve the memory of all the
    > anonymous heroes whose valor dies unrecognized with them
    > on the battlefield or in the ocean's sunless deep.
    >
    > A vet is the old guy bagging groceries at the supermarket
    > - palsied now and aggravatingly slow - who helped liberate
    > a Nazi death camp and who wishes all day long that his
    > wife were still alive to hold him when the nightmares
    > come.
    >
    > A vet is an ordinary and yet extraordinary human being, a
    > person who offered some of his life's most vital years in
    > the service of his country, and who sacrificed his
    > ambitions so others would not have to sacrifice theirs.
    >
    > A vet is a soldier and a savior and a sword against the
    > darkness, and he is nothing more that the finest, greatest
    > testimony on behalf of the finest, greatest nation ever
    > known.
    >
    > So remember, each time you see someone who has served our
    > country, just lean over and say, "Thank You." That's all
    > most people need, and in most cases it will mean more than
    > any medals they could have been awarded or were awarded.
    >
    > Two little words that mean a lot, "THANK YOU."
    >

2. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Dang man that brought a tear to my eye.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

makes me think of Marty on the shawn hannity show and how that twerp of a psychology professor from no-name university called him a "pathetic individual" a few days ago... and marty was one of the guys who stormed the beaches of normandy. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

at any rate, Im a vet myself, but I always like to go out of my way to thank veterans, especially combat vets. there are few things worse than war, and the men who have beared that burden for us all deserve undying gratitude.

j

4. pfloydmaster

pfloydmaster 1/2 ton status

Man that's a beautiful piece of work!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    at any rate, Im a vet myself, but I always like to go out of my way to thank veterans

[/ QUOTE ]

Thankyou... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

A vet is just someone who for what ever reason decided to work for the country for a while. Some do it for minimum terms and some do it for life. Most don't even think about it as a duty to thier country when they sign up. It's more of an oppertunity to say thanks for the freedom and lets see what else I can get out of this here USA that we all take so much for grant it.

What does a vet look like anyways. How will you notice him? Lots of people are missing limbs. Don't bother looking because they are all around you. Just be proud of the fact that most of us have the guts to go forth and do what's right and at least give a little bit back to the nation that gives us so much at birth....

Larry USAF 1969-1974 /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

makes me think of Marty on the shawn hannity show and how that twerp of a psychology professor from no-name university called him a "pathetic individual" a few days ago... and marty was one of the guys who stormed the beaches of normandy. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

at any rate, Im a vet myself, but I always like to go out of my way to thank veterans, especially combat vets. there are few things worse than war, and the men who have beared that burden for us all deserve undying gratitude.

j

[/ QUOTE ]

How bad of an a** ripp'in did Hannity give that piece of trash? I didn't get to hear since they only play the first two hours of the show out here. I did get to hear the ripp'in he and that Levine guy gave that Mark Summers wanker............

[ QUOTE ]
    What does a vet look like anyways. How will you notice him? Lots of people are missing limbs. Don't bother looking because they are all around you. Just be proud of the fact that most of us have the guts to go forth and do what's right and at least give a little bit back to the nation that gives us so much at birth....

[/ QUOTE ]

Well except you can usually spot the jarheads /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif...........

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    How bad of an a** ripp'in did Hannity give that piece of trash? I didn't get to hear since they only play the first two hours of the show out here. I did get to hear the ripp'in he and that Levine guy gave that Mark Summers wanker............

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, I dunno for sure, i didnt get to hear all of it either. lol! I love "F. Lee" Levin though, that guy is hilarious. Hes the guy who gives me pause when I have "all lawyers must die!" type thoughts. He's a lawyer, but hes also hella conservative and his wit is funny as hell. I thought they were a little hard on poor old mark summers... but thats just me. lol!

in any case, that was freakin crap about calling marty pathetic. Every time I hear marty call in he always says intelligent things. He sounds old, but he doesnt sound stupid or anything... and even if he was.. he stormed the beaches of NORMANDY!!!!! He may have been an army guy, but i give kudos to anyone who does the "marine thing" and storms an enemy beach. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

j

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have said it before, and I will say it again. Serving my country is my life's greatest accomplishment. I might be hurt and unable to join my brothers who are about to go to Iraq, but I'm proud that I tried my best to serve my country. It's a good feeling, and although it sucks at times, it's definitely worth it to know that you helped protect the best nation on this planet. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I thought they were a little hard on poor old mark summers... but thats just me. lol!

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree for the most part, but when Levine called in and they nailed Summers on like three different lies and hammered him, that was classic.........

As for Marty, I loved hearing that guy. Anyone that went across the beach at Normandy and survived is a fawking hero /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    As for Marty, I loved hearing that guy. Anyone that went across the beach at Normandy and survived is a fawking hero /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

most vets will tell ya that the real heros DIDNT survive. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif To me, they all make the cut. I dont care if u dove behind a berm and cried like a baby in the fetal position for a few hours while everyone else cleared the fortifications... landing on enemy beaches back in them days was just no good and anyone that made the trip gets the kudos.

and yeah, marty kicks azz. I bet he could still wipe the floor with that professor. lol!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

just my 2 cents.

j