Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is all needed for more than a 12" lift?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kawasakiracer, Nov 21, 2000.

1. kawasakiracer

kawasakiracer Registered Member

What is all needed for more than a 12\" lift?

Ok here's the project truck. I know it's not a K-5 but I thought I'd get more response here. It's a 1977 Chevy K 10 shortbed 4x4. It'll have a 454 crate motor w/ built 400 turbo. 3/4 ton axles. Ok now that I've said that, I will be giving it a 12" suspension lift plus flip shackles and I've been debating on a 3 inch body lift too. The tires I've been tossing between 40"'s or 44"s. It'll have a detroit locker in the rear, and an air locker in the front. Ok back to the subject on hand. What is there all that I need to have done to have this lift? I know somewhat about having to get a C.V. driveshaft for the front etc but I don't know where I can get them etc. I'm kinda new to this whole lifting truck thing. I was curious what help I may get. I also was told I need stainless steel braided brake lines. I know the stuff I get in a suspension lift kit but I have no real idea what I'll need as far as steering, brake lines, drive shafts, stuff like that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you know of any companies that have what I'm looking for that would be awesome too. Thx,
    MIKE

2. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

Re: What is all needed for more than a 12\" lift?

ok mike,,the first thing is that,,you won't be running this thing on the street right????your talking about lifting something almost 20"'s!!!i would have to say that if this is your first lift and you don't understand the fundamentals of a lift kit and for what you are going to be doing with the rig then maybe you shouldn't do it.. i can see lifting something a couple inches for your first one and then maybe go from there... you will have a better understanding of how the lift works and what a certain vehicle will do...just my opinion,,,but if you are determined to do this then you will need custom driveshafts made for the front and rear!!!!talk to http://www.highangledriveline.prodigybiz.com..if they don't make it ,,,you don't need it!!!! second you will need to get a raised steering arm and a dropped pitman arm...these are a must!!!!they have to match the amount of suspension lift you get..if you have a swaybar you will need to get bracket to drop it also...you will need spacers for the tranny cross member to drop it and you will need shim's to put under your spring's to get the proper pinion angle....if you lift the body you will have to have an extended steering shaft made up also.....these are just a few thing's that i can remember of the top of my head and i hope it helps you out some
    good luck

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Ahhh, to be 20 again and "green". OK, enough of that...I just did about what you describe about a year ago on my '77 Suburban. First off, buy the best springs you can, that'd be Nationals, which can make you the biggest springs that will also ride decently...something Superlift and others can't figure out how to do on their 12" kits (or maybe they could, if the buying public wasn't so damned tight with money). the springs will set you back between $1500-$2000, but do it right!! Don't be tempted by Superlift and shackle-flips. Also, to run 40+" tires, you definitely gotta ditch the idea of a 3/4 ton front end...nothing less than a one ton Dana 60 front will handle it, that is if you plan to wheel it, if its a show truck or street only, then a 3/4 ton front will work. Also figure on crossover steering, but avoid the $1100 ORD and Tri-County kits, with proper perserverance and parts sourcing, you can accomplish a top-notch crossover steering conversion for about $300. CV shaft for the front will definitely have to be a Gloeco or something similiar, the ones that can take up to 80 degrees, figure about $750 for that. Also about the same costs for a rear shaft and CV yoke, which you will need cause its shortbed (I got lucky on mine, but I have 129" wheelbase). Longer brake hoses, maybe disc brakes in the rear to be able to stop the thing (TSM makes a nice kit for $280), are just a few things I can think of now...figure to spend about $3000-4000 just on supsension to get it up that high and have a reliable and workable suspension. Then ya gotta add tires and wheels!!! Good luck, and if ya need more advice, or talking out of the idea, email!!

ken

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

rope ladder. Make sure you have parachutes on board in case they're needed. Oxygen masks should be built into the headliner. Possibly could make money as a mobile weather antennae. Training wings should you hit a bump and tip to one side. Hang on, i'll think of more...

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

5. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>Ken, Could you please post pics of your Suburban with the lift you're describing. I'd like to see it !</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

tissues for all the nosebleeds...

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

7. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Riz, I will post pictures in a few days...I've got a Sony FD-91 Mavica digital camera on the way...thank you eBay!!!

ken

8. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

double insulation for the cold temperatures, Aircraft red and green strobes for the low flying planes to see, binocular zoom goggles to see the road below you....

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

9. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Shag dont forget the upgrade to the built-in flight refueling door. And FLIR to see the little wanna-be suv's before you run over them. You know he culd put in some high output floods on the bottom and make some poor yokul think he was going to be abducted. Sorry man Ken got me going. I couldnt resist the chance.

"Lord have mercy on my next thirty years"

10. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

STEWARDESSES!!!!!!!![​IMG]

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

11. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

And a beverage cart too!!!
    J/K I DO NOT condone drinking and driving!
    It'd be nice though, if you were stuck in the mud!

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

12. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

hey Kawasakiracer are you makin a major bogger? sounds pretty sweet lets see some pics

[​IMG] SlyDog [​IMG]