Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is all this crap? emission vacumes etc

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DUKE, Feb 8, 2003.

1. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

OKay, just messing around cleaning stuff up. I got a new intake and carb (idle/quad) and Im getting ready to pu on and I am wondering what my mess of vacume hoses and stuff do. Most are broken, pluged, or loose. Anyone have a picture of what an 85 350 should look like. Do i need these? I have no emission laws, so if i can get rid of them in return for power and or efficentcy sake I would love /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif some guidence. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yues ypu can, only really need line for vacuum advance if equipped, and for auto trans mod valve, and for air cleaner snorkel motor and thermac switch if so desiredor equipped, most ppl dontuse em unless climate is very cold for long periodsof time and if manifold heat stoveis stil intact.

you should keep charcoal canister hooked up, really, it sucks in fuel fumes from tank and fuel pump for that is three port one instead of old style two port one

3. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

Would you like to explain the charcoal filter again, this time using proper grammer and complete sentences?

andy

4. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

It's used to suck vapor out of the tank on the simple ones. The not simple ones have hoses running all over the place sucking vapor out of the air cleaner and anywhere else you can imagine. The simple canister has two ports, one for the fuel tank and the other to go to the carburetor/TBI. You can steal the canister off a TBI motor, it's small and only has two ports.

Putting the canister back on can be a chore. You've got to find a vacuum source that isn't going to try to make your gas tank cave in. I ended up going with a ported vacuum that doesn't produce as much volume. I used to have a serious problem with producing vacuum in my tank... on the order of starving my electric fuel pump and making my gas tank make weird noises. I even used a gas cap from an 89 TBI that's supposed to flow more air. And I only have 12" of vacuum at idle as it is (yeap, got stiff power brakes).

5. 4DiggerDan

4DiggerDan 1/2 ton status

The only other vacuum line that needs to be connected is the one from the back of the carb to the vacuum braking booster.

6. Langosta39

So is this vapor-sucker an important thing or can I run without it and not have anything funny happen?
    andy

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

There's supposed to be an emissions sticker under the hood. It shows all of the vacuum routing.

Actually, the easiest thing is to reconnect everything to return to stock. Disconnecting stuff often seems like a good idea, but can lead to unforseen problems. For example, I think the mixture requirements are a little different for EGR/non-EGR. All of the emissions stuff is not costing you much power. Even the A.I.R. pump consumes maybe 1 hp. It's usually the heads or the compression on "smog" engines that makes them dog, not the rat's nest of vacuum lines and valves.

That being said, I have disconnected the A.I.R. system entirely and have not found any bad side effects.

8. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

Yeah that sticker has probably been unreadable for 10 years. THanks for some of the info. I am not too sure it helps, as thats kind of the way it ended up anyway. cool

9. daimok

daimok Registered Member

same boat here , cant read the sticker , called GM and they said they dont have them. Haynes manual says to look at the sticker for hose routing. ODD though that the guys that do my inspections have a book on it - half of my vacuum lines go nowhere but look like they are hooked up. $700 worth of tires got me through the first inspection , got lucky with second , guy was a off roader too

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Hey, I got an idea, why don't you cut him some slack? If you had read some other of his posts recently, you would have noticed that he has keyboard problems.

No reason to get pissy with someone that quick.

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Another issue that I've run into is that if you ever want to sell the vehicle, you may not be able to sell it to someone that lives in an emissions testing area if the stuff has been pulled.

Seems odd, but since I live in one of those areas, it's come up before.

12. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Having a bad day Mr. Angry Lobster39? Sure hope I never make any mistakes /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

13. Langosta39

Sorry! Didn't mean to come across like that!

And thats Mr. Angry Hummer39 to you, Langosta as you know is Spanish for Lobster, and Lobster in German is Hummer. The 39 is from 395 which is the cubes of the 6.5 diesel in a Hummer, but the 395 didn't totally fit for my AOL screenname when I first started using the internet back in 1993/4.

ANYWAY, is it bad to have a lot of pressure in your tank or should I run a vented cap? Or is it venting itself now that I took out the "black box"?