Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what is causing the smoke.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sparky, Nov 15, 2000.

1. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    My blazer never put out any smoke untill recently. Originaly it had the normal amount of smoke at start up due to the seals on the valve guides. Now the smoke does not stop out of the driverside. (true dual exaust) It makes a huge cloud that extends ten feet behind the truck. The smoke is white which would indicate to me coolant or water getting burned, but with the amount of smoke i would suspect it to burn alot more coolant. I can not even notice any coolant loss after driveing it for a couple of days this way, and there is not any radiator fluid in the oil. Could this be caused by the carb being to lean on one side? If the exaust gas is too hot it makes white smoke right? Espessialy when it is cool out. Why would this only happen on one side? Let me know what ya think.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Its worth a look...if you have an auto tranny, the modulator's vacuum signal is ported off the back of your intake. If the modulator has gone bad, it will allow tranny fluid to be sucked into the intake and down into a cylinder (obviously one on the left bank of cylinders) and cause your truck to smoke. Its a longshot, but give it a look.

ken

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I used to have an old Mercury that did that, it'd burn a quart of tranny fluid a week. I bet that one cylinder was real clean though[​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

4. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

Hrm? Interisting. I would have never thought. I'll check it out. Thanks, but keep the rest of the comments comeing.

Sparky

78 K-5

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

OK, another idea...if the left bank of engine is smoking, pull the valve cover and make sure the oil drain back holes are open and clear...if not, this will cause the oil to pool in the top of the heads and oil to run straight down the guides and smoke like hell!! Another idea is that your seals are totally shot, or so old that they are brittle and broke like plastic, causing oil to pour thru into the cylinders. Replacing stem seals is not that big of a deal if that is your problem. Good luck, and let us know what it finally was!!

ken

6. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I'm with you Ken...

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

7. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

Well guys, I found my problem. I have the milk shake syndrom. Yep my coolant has mixed with the oil. I guess the white smoke was coolant burning off. Damn! Time to pull the motor apart over thanksgiving. Hopefully it is just a bad gasket and not a cracked head. I did not think it was the coolant because it was not loosing much. Guess I was wrong. Thanks for the help.

Sparky

78 K-5

8. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

did you buy your k5 in tijuana? from 2 guys. one named cheech, the other named chong. is your k5 is made of marijuana? don't worry about the cops. one big whiff of your truck and they'll be stealing your hotdog.