Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is easier? S10 blazer body swap on a 91 K5 frame? Or full size axle sw

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WakeBoard&4X4er, Oct 13, 2003.

1. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine has a 2 door s 10 that has a good body but no motor. She was telling me that she would sell it for $500 I am thinking about putting this body on my 91. the s10 is totally there just no motor. I know if I put it on my frame there is some problems with hood and the fenders, but other then that what all do you have to do?

Thanks!

brett

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You have to come up with a way to mount the body on your frame right away. Then you have to figure out how to steer, stop, and wire it to work for you. After you're done with that, you've got to hack the hell out of the body to clear your tires. I'm sure their are other issues as well that someone will share with you.

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

PM yield2me. I know he just finished an S-10 conversion on his K5. He also has some pictures of his truck during the building process.

4. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

If you have the right tools, the body swap isn't too bad. One thing to consider though is the legality of the new vehicle. I was able to tag mine as the 77 blazer it used to be and run MD street rod tags (definition: any vehicle substantially altered from its original design). Once you decide to tag it, remember the tires stick outside of the body quite a bit and will be hard to cover up with flares, etc. Let me know if I can help with other questions. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Yeah,,,,its pretty easy, but here is a list of things that suck--

1. Removing Blazer body-It took us over 4 hours, but only 1 hour to remove the s-15 ext. cab.

2. Removing the K5 body mounts from the frame. We used a combination of air chisels, grinders, torch, etc, etc.

Now, lots of different people do this lots a different ways, and depending on the year of the s-10 you wanna use, you may have different issues. Now, for me, I used a 90 s-15 on my 89 K5 BTW, I just bought the Painless wiring TBI harness (306 bucks at autozone) and didnt worry about the wiring from the K5. I made all of my body mounts out of 2x4 rect. steel. The rear one was easy, but the front one I had to cut and weld like this _____/``````\______ to clear the Trans. The angles were cut at 22.5* to equal a 45* angle up and over. I bought a set of poly body bushings for the s-15 and cut holes in the new mounts and re-used the old bolts. Most of the other wiring (ign, alt, lights, etc) was pretty much color coded the same, and most of it only required 12v to the fuse box, which got that by simply attaching the s-15's strater wires to the K5 starter!! I mounted my ECM and a few other relays under the factory Jack storage area between the rear seats. Steering--I got lucky and found a Hummvee steering shaft in the scrap metal bin at my wifes work and used it. It has 3 u-joints and can operate at super high angles. You may have to get a flaming river one or borgeson. I used a B&M floor shifter but had to cut a hole in the floor board to re-use the K5's t-case lever, then modify the linkage. Everything else (fender triming, body position etc) is totally up to you. With the 4in rough country lift and rear shackle flip, I am able to run 44's. My fenders are cut out, but that was only to "center" them on the tire. If you are using the reg. cab s-10, things will come out pretty good.

BTW-due to clearance, I decided to run my radiator in the bed w/ electric fans. I kept the a/c condensor up front and added a tranny cooler, and p/s cooler and put another fan up there. My a/c blows cold!!!!!

e-mail me or post here if you have any other ?'s

Have fun!!!!! I call mine "A real ZR2!!!"""

Rob

6. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

thanks, i will let you know!