Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what is in the rear of you chevy? ORD flip,Echobit or springer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84CUCV, May 5, 2003.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I can't makeup my mind what to go for. i like the f-150 springs in the rear, but that is a more $$$ I don't have right now.I am wondering who has what and why do you like it. Thanks for the help! mike

2. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

Currently I have the ord flip with stock 52"s. I did remove the overloads. That helped a BUNCH. WIthin the week ill have my 57"s with the ord flip.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Currently none. I am planning on running the Springer Setup with 57" Ford springs (or whatever Marv recommends spring wise) on my next truck which is going to be a dedicated offroader like his green Blazer. My current truck will probably not see any of the 3 because I do plan to tow with it down the road so none of the kits really allow that well.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

also, once you get some input you can always contact the people who make these setups (all three are on this site) and get the low down on how well, and if it will work for you setup, wheeling style, etc.

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

and I love it. might go to 63" springs later

[​IMG]

6. DSJ

DSJ Registered Member

I have a home made shackle flip with some 88' to 98 63" 1/2 ton chevy springs on my one ton. I now have 27" of vertical travel on each rear tire, and it rides like a 1/2 ton! It is very cheep and easy to do and nets the best wheel travel and ride.
    Darren /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

ORD 4" Shackle flip + 3" lift Tuff Country springs. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Echobit flip and stock 52s from some other truck with poly bushings.

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

8" springs 3 1/2" blocks

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

stock springs rebuilt with UHMWPE pads between the leaves and new bushings + ORD shackle flip + Revolvers.

j

11. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

I currently run the Springer setup in the rear of my 1st gen blazer. I have nothing but excellent things to say about the springer setup. I run the springer on both the road and on the trail. I run trails with Marv on a regular basis, and have a few things to say.

If you want some incredible wheel travel in the rear of your blazer and dependability springer is the $hit....

I have had it on my blazer now for about 2 years, and have wheeled on the AZ trail for the same about of time, and I has held up without a hitch. The wheel travel is unmatched and dependable.

Check out some of the pictures on my webshots to see what I have driven through with his suspension.

It will absolutely Rock Your World!!! I also run a set of CJ5 jeep rear springs on the front of my blazer with some additional spring leafs added and the front travel is also something that will defy reality.

Good luck with your decision...

therobzilla

12. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Cool..Thanks for the replys I am going to check out the springer. Mike

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

everything i have read suggests that Springer makes high quality stuff. I have revolvers which are a little more wacky. Prolly get me a higher ramp score, but they also have a tendancy to lock open at max flex. It hasnt happened to me yet (knock on wood) but if you plan on running them, limiting straps are prolly a good idea. Bump stops might work too... but you'd prolly have to relocate them since revolvers really let the spring move in wacky ways. lol! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

14. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Here is a pic of the Echobit kit w/ the 57's.

[​IMG]

15. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

"running" springer suspension.
    reason i say it that way is because it has yet to leave my garage..... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    BUT, i do have to say this, i have seen therobzilla's truck in action, marvs truck, and a few others. tell ya what, the second i seen the setup on the trail i asked marv where i sign up at. i have installed the first(and maybe only still?) suburban springer setup. it was driven for a while then brian, Or2play, ahed to go to the big sand box. we never got to twist it up, but the ride was better than his stock worn out springs, and hell, it even looked cool.
    anywhoo, with the exception of towing, and marv says adjustable shocks are a BIG help, i doubt i will have any problems with it. HIGH quality stuff.
    Grant

16. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I am running an ORD flip (still with the offset facing forward) with belltech lowering shackles and 57''s with flipped overloads. Ride is awesome /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, flex is unbelievable /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, price was right around $300 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. I did it this way instead of something like Marv's (which is very cool, just not right for my needs) because I was afraid of what might happen when jumping or running high speed whoops (where the suspension would completely unload and then abruptly compress repetatively) so a single long shackle looked like the answer for me. I wouldn't have done it any different if I had it to do again, just need to straighten out my shock mounting situation and then use some limiting straps and some sort of wrap control (I haven't really had a big problem with wrap but I drive a little more cautiously in fear of it /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif)

17. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I am running stock 52" springs rebuilt with UHMWPE pads between the leaves and greasable bushings with a 4" ORD shackle flip.

This summer I will be putting in some 63" leaves.

18. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I am planning on a rear shackle flip to go along with the 4" front springs I just got off a friend. What is the problem with having a shackle flip and towing? I have a 26' camper that I planned on pulling with this rig as I cannot afford a DD towing rig AND an off roader.

19. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

There is nothing really wrong with the shackle flip itself (other than the fact that it will lift your truck 4"). It is just that people often swap in softer springs or flip the overload leaf or other stuff. To tow something that heavy you will want a stiff rear suspension as well as stiff shocks (which is the opposit of what you want for off-roading). Lift springs are often stiffer than the factory springs and so would be my sugestion if you want to tow alot or really heavy stuff.

20. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

oh ok, so if towing was possible before the flip then after nothing changes except the height. I can live with that. I thought maybe the flip did something to the stability of the rear of the vehicle for towing. God knows Blazers are unstable enough without sway control with the short wheelbase without introducing more problems. If That's all it is I can just keep a set of air shocks for when I actually get out the camper once or twice a year like I did before.