Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what is involved with a 52 inch conversion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by twoslo4five0, Oct 30, 2006.

1. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have a street/trail tuck im building...i want more flex and have a set of 52s and know how to do the conversion but i have read diffrent things..i wanna do crossover but not right now..and might have to wait for a while..will i be alright driving on the street without it..the truck has 4in soft ride sagging springs now should i just keep them in and put zero rates and shackels in it to acheive about 5 in..how well will this flex..im running 38s and they are on there now but the guy i bought it from had 2 inch blocks in the front to clear the 38s..the blocks are coming out..too unsafe..whats the best,easiest,cheapist,and fastest to get done...im trying to get this truck done asap...

2. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

and i dont really need to move wheelbase cause its a street truck and i dont really wanna get driveshafts made and i like the way it looks now...

3. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

So you are keeping push/pull steering, correct? I did this EXACT swap not too long ago. Its EASILY acheivable with the B52 brackets from DIY4x. I used the 3rd hole from the front and a longer shackle (i used 7.25" eye to eye...6.5 should be fine and wouldn't hurt castor AS much). This keeps it VERY close to the stock location of the axle, meaing that the push/pull will still work OK, not great, but ok, for now. I wheeled mine for a while...flexed the piss out of it, etc etc and had no unexpected problems from it (pulled apart my front shaft a couple times and had terrible bump steer, but that comes with push/pull...). I know with the longer shackles, it put me in the neighborhood of 5-6" overall with a set of stock 52s w/o overloads from my buds 88 blazer. Keeping the overloads would prob net you right around 6". If you want to do it now and adjust/redo it later, its real easy to, but atleast it gets one more thing out of the way for the time being till you can get your truck how you really want it.

4. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

we put 54"ers on my buddys K20. Kept the push/pull fer now. Deffinaly lots of bump steer, but manageable on the street if you are carefull. Crossover definatly helps whether u go with 52's or stock length springs.

5. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

with a stock driveshaft and steering, I don't see the point in 52s. What they give you is mad droop... and neither stock driveshafts nor stock steering can handle that much droop. For a street rig, I'd just use lift springs.

j