Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is involved with putting on Vortech heads?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 72Blazerod, Mar 10, 2002.

1. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

What modifications or parts do I need to put a set of 1997 Vortech heads onto my 1972 engine block? I hear only good things about Vortech heads but am I going to need a new intake, carb etc, to make it work?

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

intake, special intake gaskets, centerbolt valve covers, beer.
    John

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Are the pushrods the same length?

4. JMZ

JMZ Registered Member

I just used my regular push rods. The marine engine I bought had roller lifters with shorter push rods. Do the auto vortec engines come with roller cams? Every thing was trashed on the engine I bought except for the heads and intake. (bummer) Wish I could have used the whole motor.

5. chevyracing

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Are the pushrods the same length?

<hr></blockquote>

Yes, you need different rockers. You need self guided (aligning) rockers, also remember that you are restricted on the lift of the cam unless you get the heads machined and use different springs, I think it is like 460 or 470 lift.

John

6. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I did this swap on my 72' a while back, very easy to do. Some diffrences from your set-up now are the rockers are diffrent, the intake (although I did see one that was redrilled for old intake), valve covers, intake gaskets, spark plugs, and the rest is re-usable. I did use a choke cable on my carb for a while, the vortecs don't have an exhaust cross over for your heat riser choke system. I ended up buying a new carb with an electric choke. My motor was almost totally stock before this. At the same time I did the head swap I also put a cam in (.44/.454 lift) with new springs, timing set, roller tip rockers, and tri-y headers. Wow I didn't think it would have the power it does, but it came alive. I spent about $650.00 on the heads, gaskets, v-covers, spark plugs, and bolts. Hope that answers your questions.

7. chevyracing

Valve covers, intake gaskets reusable....HUUUUUUHHHHH!!!!

If you have centerbolt valve covers you can reuse them. The intake openings on the Vortecs are higher than a regular head is why you need the right gaskets. You can get an adapter to use regular valve covers on Vortecs, but why?

John

8. chevyracing

Oh, and I don't think I would ever suggest reusing an intake gasket.
    John

9. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

The spark plugs are also different from a '72 vintage head. The Vortecs use a long reach plug - R44LTS is what I use (the L is for long reach).

10. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Chevyracing,blazer1970, Please re read my post. I think you both mis-understood some things. "The rest you can reuse" ie. dist., water neck, carb., headers (not the GASKETS just the headers), plug wires (not the sparkplugs themselvs, which was peviously stated UNusable), and finally the push rods all of which IS reusable from 72Blazerod's current set-up. I re read my prior post and I can see where you all got confused...oops Guess thats what I get for not reading my posting before posting it!