Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is it about [insert nice car here]?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fubeca, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I know someone with a bunch of nice cars and a few exotics (2 Jaguars, Lexus, 2007 Suburban, Masarati, Ferrari). Whenever I drive any of them I get the strangest looks from people.

I drive a lot and really like driving a nice, comfortable, fun car and am considering my options.

After watching the hicks in the BMW video rattle on about the city slicker in his fancy car - I once again am thinking about the whole car/status/impression thing.

It seems interesting to me that a $45,000 F-350 drives by and no one bats an eye - but drive a $45,000 car and people think you are a rich punk. Why is that? I don't currently have a nice car but am looking to buy something in the next year.

I'm a little annoyed that if I buy anything beyond the basic honda accords, and chevy malibus that the folks around here drive - they are going to think I'm stealing from the company or something. :rolleyes:

Is this a problem in other parts of the country?

I really don't care what people think - but I don't need the hassle of some punk vandalizing my car in the parking lot (or chasing me around with a baseball bat) because he thinks I deserve it because the car is nicer than his.

PS I'm looking at a used BMW 330i - ~$25,000 not really an outrageously expensive or ritzy car.

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

It's just human nature.

I get dirty looks from people with exotics when I'm in the K10 spewing dynomax exhaust into their convertible. :D

3. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

I live out here on Fort Hood in Texas, and here, your car is everything. This place is pretty ghetto, and you can tell right away where these $20,000 bonuses soldiers are getting is going. Every car has dark tinted windows, rims (mostly those retarded spinners), exhausts, and some sort of custom graphics. The most popular graphinc is to put your phone area code on the back window, and say something stupid about it, like "401, Hotlanta Tru Playa", or "816, Dirty South Gangsta" or some stupid sh!t like that. If the car isn't tricked out, then it's something stupid and not readily affordable to everybody. Like the other day at the mall I was stopped at a light, had a '06 Mustang Cobra in front of, beside, and behind me. If you ain't driving a flashy car in Killeen, TX, you ain't gangsta.

4. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

most of the time I think the guys driving the 45000 dollar super dutys are punks too. I respect the guys driving the beemer and benzes unless they are really young

5. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

It's because they all know you have a car like that to make up for your small peepee:p:

6. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

Or recedeing hairline. My moto is "replace hair with horsepower". :D

7. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

Disclaimer: This is my opinion on most people's opinion in general.

It's because a one ton truck is for business purposes. It is bought to make money for the most part. The Mercedes/Beemer is usually bought for nothing but "luxury".

It’s funny because most of the pilots like to buy M3s, Corvettes, etc. Most of them find it odd that I would rather drive my old Chevy pickup than a new BMW. And, in the end, I’ve probably spent as much on my GTO, Harley and truck as they have on their “pilot cars”. Whatever.

Personally, I wouldn’t drive a German car if it was given to me. I hate the way the stuff is designed (at least the way it was designed back in the 90s when I was turning wrenches). Take for instance the German idea of lug bolts. Instead of studs, there is a bolt that goes through the wheel that screws into the hub. It’s stronger than lug nuts and studs (and they hardly ever strip out), but have you ever changed a tire with one? You’ve got to balance the wheel, line up the holes on the wheel and the hub somehow with one hand and use the other to screw in the bolt. Also, has anyone seen the way VWs mount their struts? They have so much rubber in the mount, I’ve seen the rubber rot away and when the car is jacked up, the strut falls out. It’s a smooth ride when it’s new, but just not a smart design in my book. I could go on about water pumps being the lowest part on a VW, so if you scrape a speed bump, you’re effed. (Again, these all may have changed since I was working on cars). If I was going to buy a foreign car, I’d buy Japanese. Hell, they’re made here in the USA anyway.

8. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

My wife owns her own detail shop, and one of her regular clients is a guy who drives an aston martin DB9.. just last week, he was driving down the freeway, and watched as somebody chucked a rock or something out their window at him, and put a heck of a dent in the b - pillar, scuffing the paint down to the bare metal.

She gets flipped off and dirty looks when she's doing the pick up / delivery thing with the high dollar cars.. Nobody looks twice at her durango..

not sure why people gotta act that way.. maybe they're jealous, maybe they think that since THEY are the epitome of fairness and frugality and THEY wouldn't spend that kind of money on a car, nobody else should either..

Me? I think rich folks are A OK, and should spend as much money as possible on uber - expensive vehicles.. they gotta pay someone to keep 'em clean, and they may as well put food on my table.

Tom

9. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

man do I get looks when I pull into work... everyone arround me has a benz, a bmw, or hot sports car. My favorite one is the 69 Z28 oooh is it sweet. Anyways I pull my 1000 dollar 94 corsica in the parking lot and I get nasty looks, so many looks I'm going to buy a BMW or a newer cummins. My boss actually gave me a raise because of my car... sad thing is, it probably runs better then some of the bmw's in the lot.

10. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

In that case I better go buy a Yugo. :p: :D

Personally after owning a few BMW's, I love german cars. You just get so much more for your money, even if you do end up spending more.

11. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I drove a used porche boxer for a day,

had fun in scottsdale with a friend.

girls dont understand that a boxer used cost well under 30 grand, and any body with credit or willing to finance at a high interest rate can get one,:haha: they think your rich! lol

people are easily decieved by a name, if I was to get a nice car,since I dont have a family I would get a used acura nsx, just to drive on the weekends or going out. I cant work out of that car so it would have very limited use.they look the same fr just about every year they produced them:D

and I dont know where your from, but girls here are crazy about a new lifted truck, or new trucks in general;) and if they dont like it, add some cheap tv head rest and a 150.00 dvd player and they will think your rich:haha:

12. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

****possibly out of line comment deleted here****

13. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

damn, I like out of line comments...to bad I didnt see it before it got deleted. :D

14. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Its true, my g/f is getting upset b/c all thes girls want to ride in my k5 with the top off..lol What can I say.. I'm a mf PIMP

15. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

status.....

My late friend once bought an older Mercedes from an elderly lady--it was about a 1982 300 "D" series with a diesel in it...faded green,and it was sitting for many months (if not years!) before he saw it,and talked her into selling it for 250 bucks!..it cleaned up nicely,after a quick buffing with some 3M Super Duty rubbing compound,it looked almost new again!..the motor ran sweet,after he figured out how to hook a manual switch to the glow plugs..

First day he drove it,he found other drivers deliberatly cutting him off,passing him,and flipping him off,for no apparent reason!--then everyone started asking him if he was dealing drugs,or if he was a pimp!..his boss even said "gee,I must be paying you too much,if you can afford a nice car like that,thats better than MINE!"...

He started driving his lowly rotted out 73 Vovlo 240 instead,and eventually sold the Mercedes,at a high profit--but he loved the car,and missed it a lot--but not the way he was treated while driving it,or all the comments on his source of "wealth"...he got pulled over a lot in the Mercedes too..guess the cops couldn't believe a 25 year old "kid" could afford such a car,and it HAD to be either stolen,or he was "dealing" in order to pay for it!..:screwy: ...

Maybe had he not buffed it all up,and left it shabby looking,he might not have had all the comments,attention from the fuzz, and bad attitude from the other drivers??...people judge others by appearences WAY too quickly!..:crazy:

16. OrangeCrushK10

Sorry Bro. It seems your AA comment was too much.... Not that it was nessicarily off the mark, but even ck5 has to be PC sometimes, right?

....That was vague enough, right?

17. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I deleted it myself, just wasn't sure it was kosher and definitely don't want to make any waves while the CanCan Man is on hiatus.

18. OrangeCrushK10

19. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Go down the list -

1) Rear wheel drive
    2) fast
    3) reliable
    4) handles well
    5) comfortable on the highway
    6) holds kids
    7) good gas mileage
    8) easy to work on

Buy the 330 - you won't regret it.

20. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

I LOVE to see the dirty looks on peoples faces as I fly by them in the Porsche,,,,eat my dust you loosers.... :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

seroiusly,,,I don't see what the big deal is about the "STATUS" associated with exotics/luxury cars...my wife and I have done many driving trips with the porsche club and some of the people ARE a bunch of snobs,,but most of them are just people that love the car and the open road...just like us and our K-5's