Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is it? (T-Case)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Corey 78K5, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Getting a 73 K-20in a few days (finaly) which I was manly geeting for the axels. Got the things I want like flat top passenger spindel for futer cross over and 4.56 gears and an open rear in the 14 bolt for a detroit to go in at a later date.
    Anyhoo, It's got a 350 4spd and 205 case all stock. Now since all I have mostly delt with is autos what model is the tranny? I know it's a New Prosses unit but which one and would the T-case have a short or long input shaft and what would the spline count be? It's all original running gear BTW. Is this a good trade (for a rusted Scout with blown motor /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif )

2. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

the tranny is a sm 465 probably the second best to its older brother the sm420. the 465 has a 6.55 low gear ratio(too cool) i have one in my blazer. i love the tranny it out crawls any auto tranny out there. also your t case is going to be the exact same becase the tranny has an adapter between it and the tcase. do a little research and see how much a pain in the but it would be to put it in your k5. you will love it.

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

how do you know it is a New Process tranny?
    I am not up on early years stuff and a 73 being the first year of the new body would have me thinking it could have oddball gear.
    if it is a np435 I want it

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

There are 2 versions of the 465. One has the low 6.55 first gear and the other has a 3.xx first gear!

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

The tranny is definitely an SM465, not a New Process product. There is only one first gear ratio on the 465, and there always only been one ratio. The NP205 that you have has the 10 spline male input shaft. It is the most common 205 in existance.

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Thank's for the education Guy's. Looks as though the old tired t-350 and 203 case could soon be retiring. Sounds like a beefer setup for when the big block goes in. and the low first gear sounds cheaper than a doubler setup and more compact.