Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what is it worth?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Benrs86, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Benrs86

Benrs86 Registered Member

hey i have a 69 gmc 1/2 ton 2wd pickup but like all 67-72s. on my way to school today i saw a 72 GMC jimmy. after school i checked it out. on the outside of the body there is rust on the rear driver side. but it has a lot of options. it is a custom, it has factory bucket seats, air conditioning, power steering, power brakes, rear seat, and lots of stuff. it has a 350 with a automatic and is 4wd. i didnt look at it that close so this is all i know about it for sure. what would you guys guess it is worth. i know it is hard with not very much info and no pictures so any ballpark guesses? thanks a lot, Ben

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

2000 to 4000 it really depends on how worn out the drive train is. Also depending on what you are gonna do with it the rust is something to inspect a little further. Like pull back the carpet near the doors and see if the floor is about to fall thru...
    Good Luck

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I payed $3400 for mine in about that same condition...they seam to go for alot of $$$ in CA.

4. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

I'd say a good starting point would be 1500 if it runs, then go up from there. add about 100-300 for every exta option. I bought a non-cst model for 3500 form the second owner, it was the most stock/complete blazer i have ever run across. it did have some minor surface rust on the rockerpanles. then agian it all depends how much you want to spend.

ARQ.

5. Benrs86

k i looked at it again today. everything i listed is factory excep the power brakes and roof rack. but the dark tinted glass is factory! there is no rust around the windshield and the rocker panels are perfect but the rocker boxes? are rusted through. also did i mention it has buckets and a factory rear seat? is it still worth around 3400? my dad doesnt like it because if i end up wanting to buy it he knows i will have to borrow the money from him. hahaha
    thanks for any advice, Ben

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Ben,

So are you saying that the "inner rockers" (the big structural parts underneath) are solid, and only the "outer rockers" (the visible sheetmetal below the doors) is rusty? Or is it the other way around?.... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

That's a pretty good score if it's true. Windsheild-area rust is the most serious one.....it costs a lot to fix, and a "replacement" windshield frame is nearly impossible to find. Pretty much any "other" kind of rust is not a big deal.....it just depends on how easily you're "scared" by that sort of stuff.....

I guess it depends on how many 1st Gens you have locally to choose from, and what the local "market value" is.....the truck sounds like a good "basic" starter vehicle. If you're looking to do a lot of mods to it anyway.....that's really all you need. If you like it.....try to work the guy down on the price (as always!) and see if the deal gets too hard to resist!!!

And don't forget to tell Dad "THANKS!" /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. Benrs86

the outside rocker is good (that is rare on pickups from my area) but the inside big box underneath is rusty. thats bad isnt it? bummer. man i never thought i would learn this much about blazers in just 2 days! this is a great board. the reason i was wanting this because compared to pickups i have seen this has a lot of options. i have never seen power brakes, power steering, a/c, and bucket seats on a 4wd pickup. maybe these options are more common on blazers/jimmys. is the rear seat option rare at all? how about the tinted windows. see i thought this was rare because like i said not very many pickups have those options, especially the tinted glass. can you tell me what to look for. there is still a lot to be laerned. lol thanks A LOT this is a GREAT board

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Ben,

With the CST option on early Blazers, you get most of the stuff you mentioned as far as the power stuff. A/C was an option, though not particularly rare. What was unique about the Blazers is that they came with only ONE seat! If you wanted a passenger seat you paid extra......if you wanted a REAR seat, you paid extra. I don't know if they really sold many with just the one seat, but it is interesting that it was offered that way.

The tinted glass is a mystery to me. I don't know how big of a deal that was....

The rocker panel thing is weird.....It seems unlikely that the INNER rockers could be rotten and the OUTERs are fine.....any chance the outers were already replaced, to make the truck look better? Either way, it comes down to how "scary" it seems......nobody makes a reproduction of the inner rocker box, but a competent body shop should be able to fabricate something to copy it. It's a structural piece, so it IS important, but plenty of people have cut them out and replaced them successfully........it's certainly an area where you can "negotiate down" the price of the vehicle to your advantage.

It might be good to get some estimates from local shops for that type of work to make sure it's not going to bankrupt you....

Are there lots of other Blazers around to look at? Remember in 1969 there were only 4935 K5's produced, and it WAS the first year the K5 was ever made.....so that makes it somewhat rare. Perhaps the uniqueness makes it "worth it" to you?

9. Benrs86

oh ok. the rockers looked like they might have been replaced. that must be waht is going on. me and my dad have done a lot fo welding to my 69 cab so i think we could fix up those inside rocker panels. i dont know. i am gonna keep trying to convince him that i should have a k5. i really like these things. they are soo cool. thanks for all the advice, Ben

10. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Tinted glass isn't especially rare, nor is it especially common. I think that the ratio is about 50/50 tinted vs. non-tinted. Shaded front glass is a little more rare than the standard tinted glass (don't ask me why GM didn't shade all of the front glass instead of having a separate shaded option, since they've been doing that with Cadillacs since the middle '50s). FWIW, my Blazer didn't originally come with shaded glass, but I installed tinted side windows, wing windows, and a shaded windscreen. All Blazer top side glass is tinted.

Oh, the top is an option on Blazers as well as the rear seat. If the top was not ordered, the doors didn't get roll-up windows either. Caps were installed over the openings in the doors so that junk didn't fall into the doors.

11. Benrs86

wow thanks steve chin. i dont quite get what you are saying with the glass but the front is tinted. what does FWIW mean (i am not smart on the computer)? and that is interesting about the window door block deals! thanks, Ben

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

For What It's Worth...

Rene