Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is my problem?? What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by BlazerBoy, Mar 4, 2001.

1. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

O.k. I know next to nothing about CB's. I bought a new cobra 25.. something or other, I have a 20' cable running to a 102" whip mounted on my rear bumper. First I had a typical whine I ran the wires to the battery and that is all good. But I connot transmit or recieve from very far. I mean maybe I am just expecting more out of it, but I can only transmit or recieve a couple of blocks and they begin to break up. Works fine on the trail if they are near me somewhere. Shouldnt it be a longer distance? What am I doing wrong? Thanks Guys...

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

You can take it to a shop and get it peaked and tuned. Also i think (i might be mistaken) they make amplifiers for them. Also there is a test that you can run to see if your antenna is grounded right or if it needs to be grounded...i don't remember what it's called...

[​IMG] Keep your feet dry [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com>http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com</A>

3. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

You can go to a shop and get a swing kit put in it, or have the modulation turned up. You can also get the shop to put an swr meter on it and tune it just right. If you still want more look into a linear(amplifier) that will give you even more boost. Might want to check laws though, they are illegal in some areas.

Later

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: "If you still want more look into a linear (amplifier) that will give you even more boost. Might want to check laws though, they are illegal in some areas."

Yeah, like anywhere in the United States of America. All radio laws in the US are controlled at the Federal level. The Federal Communications Commission decides what's legal and what isn't. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

5. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Have you played with your squelch and dynamic nobs yet?

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>[​IMG]

6. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

What model 25 did you get?

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>[​IMG]

7. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

yeah I got the model 25, My dad had a swr meter laying around so I hooked it up and tested it. I think I did it right. it said my antenna was fine right where it was at. Has anyone used a power MIc? are they worth it?

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com

8. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Everything sounds fine, its new for pete's sake. I think your antenna is in need of tuning. All you have to do is set the legnth of your antenna to the frequency its running, the SWR, standing wave ratio. If it isnt set right some of the signal goes back into your radio because of resistance. All you have to do is adjust the length of your whip. You can get an SWR meter for $30 and a few posts back will tell you how to set the antenna.

9. scrapmetal

scrapmetal 1/2 ton status

Well the key is 18 feet to a 102' whip, the mount should be grounded then wher the antennae sits there should be a plastic washer to fit between the middle of the antennae and the nut to tighten it down, if that washer is not there to seperate the positive from negative, it won work for doodoo, and then it will burn up, then check you mike gain,turn up mid way, read the book it will help, I have a Cobra 25 and it works great, and a RCI 2950 with a 400 Pallimar amp, that stock CB should swing pretty good all by itself,,

Never been stuck, just temporarily delayed.

10. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

Get your swr set. A lenear is illegal as all get out. By federal law only 5 watts output on cb channels. And they can get you if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time and byebye everything including truck.

Brian
    83 K-5 4" on 33's

11. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

1st off P/C ing a radio will certainly help in the modulation end, and as far a Linear Amp it'll help in long range commication..And as far as Uncle Charlie(FCC) he had his teeth pulled years ago. I'd lose the 102 whip and get a top loaded one thats shorter...it won't get hung up in the brush as easy. A power mic is a great way to increase modulation, but all this is redundant on a trail where you're looking at less than a mile transmission or so...I have a Robyn SX102 b thats been P and C'd with a J+U Turner Power Mic with a 200 watt push/pull Linear and run a 36 inch top loaded antenae...and I use a FM walkie talkie about 80 percent of the time. Its clearer reception and easier to use. Good Luck
    and if all else fails .......... CELL PHONES

White Knight

12. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

The 102" whip looks cool I am sure, but with a 20' coax very ineffective. If you want to make your 25 talk get a 4' francis antannae, 18' RG58au coax, and a good aluminum mount. Remember that if you need more than 18' of coax get it in increments of 3'. These systems are set up on a "wave" scale"( IE: 1/2 wave, 3/4 wave, or full wave) When you go look at the francis ant. look on the back of the package and it will tell you exactly what you need for your application. The Francis is very durable and does NOT need to be tuned (SWR's set) if you follow the directions on the package. You should get an SWR reading under 2 which is safe. If your SWR is too high you can burn out the finals in the radio and the warrantee will be void. The Francis ant. tells you what kind and how much coax to get.
    If you want to talk louder and receive a little better after the antannae is correctly set up look into buying a modulator (external) with a receive mode built into it. Linears are nice but you don't have a thing if you ain't got the swing. Modulation is where it is at. A modulator puts out a low watt dead key but talks at a much higher wattage therefore requires less power to operate, which can be important if your truck is dead somewhere, and gives you the all important modulation swing you need. A good place I deal with is the CB shop at Sapp Brothers truck stop in Denver. They can get you the modulator and offer some good advice.
    John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by chevyracing on 09/09/01 09:38 AM.</FONT></P>

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

FOR A MOBILE I'LL ONLY USE A 102" STAINLESS STEEL WHIP. I HAVEN'T FOUND ANYTHING THAT CAN OUT PREFORM IT. I'VE MOUNTED MINE ON THE ROOF LIGHT BAR CENTER. A POT BELLY SPRING, 18 FOOT OF COAX, A PEAKED AND TUNED GALAXY DX-99V. ALSO WORKED AWSUM WITH A COBRA LTD-29 CLASSIC. MAKE SURE YOU DON'T HAVE YOUR COAX COILED UP ANYWHERE, THAT WOULD ACT AS A CHOKE, AND CUT YOUR PREFORMANCE.