Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is needed for smog for a '76 C30 in Cali?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rjfguitar, Aug 17, 2004.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

What is needed for smog for a \'76 C30 in Cali?

Bought a 1998 GMC dually today with a 454/nv4500 to replace our 1976 c30 dually. Our 76 has been registered in Nevada under our Corp. ever since the smog 2 came out but now we want to sell the 76 C30 and my question is...
    What smog equipment is needed on it here in california to pass emmissions? It was originally from texas and does have EGR but there is no smog pump and air tubes nor does it have a catalyctic converter(which isn't required anyway IIRC on a 1 ton of that year). Thanks guys. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Re: What is needed for smog for a \'76 C30 in Cali?

Oh you lucky dog, you got your truck????????? /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif ya, lets see pics, pics pics, and all your gonna need is a good smog pump on there , yeah /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh you lucky dog, you got your truck????????? /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif ya, lets see pics, pics pics, and all your gonna need is a good smog pump on there , yeah /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Slow down, its going to be my work truck and I will still be getting a fully loaded dodge CTD when the right one rolls around. Now I will have this to use everyday and bling out the CTD when I buy one. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Back to my question, how would you know what a 76 C30 needs? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Wait to sell it until next year when it no longer needs to be smogged. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Wait to sell it until next year when it no longer needs to be smogged. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Don't you mean 2 years from now? I thought the 75's wer up for no smog next year? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Maybe I'm a year behind. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Bought a 1998 GMC dually today with a 454/nv4500 to replace our 1976 c30 dually. Our 76 has been registered in Nevada under our Corp. ever since the smog 2 came out but now we want to sell the 76 C30 and my question is...
    What smog equipment is needed on it here in california to pass emmissions? It was originally from texas and does have EGR but there is no smog pump and air tubes nor does it have a catalyctic converter(which isn't required anyway IIRC on a 1 ton of that year). Thanks guys. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I would think none sence it's originally a texas truck and was never equiped with any. Call you're local DMV to check though. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

You just need what came with it from federal, unless you wait until Jan. The cutoff is the current year minus 29, so now it's 75, next year it's 76. Right now you probably need the EGR, PCV and evap. That's pretty much it. My truck is federal also, it's a 78 and a half ton, but that's all it has.

8. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    You just need what came with it from federal, unless you wait until Jan. The cutoff is the current year minus 29, so now it's 75, next year it's 76. Right now you probably need the EGR, PCV and evap. That's pretty much it. My truck is federal also, it's a 78 and a half ton, but that's all it has.

[/ QUOTE ] It has everything but the evap and it never had one as far as I know. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif How hard would it be to install an evap?

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    How hard would it be to install an evap?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know if the truck has a vapor return line to the tank(s) , if it does then its easy .

Does the truck still have the sticker on the panel over radiator ? That will show what you had when new /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] It has everything but the evap and it never had one as far as I know. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif How hard would it be to install an evap?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine didn't have one either, nor did it have the provisions for one, but the guy said it needed it. I got the can from the junkyard, ran a plugged hose to it from the carb and ran the other line back to one of the gas tanks. I just stuffed the end of the line up on top of the tank and it passed the visual like that without a problem. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

11. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine didn't have one either, nor did it have the provisions for one, but the guy said it needed it. I got the can from the junkyard, ran a plugged hose to it from the carb and ran the other line back to one of the gas tanks. I just stuffed the end of the line up on top of the tank and it passed the visual like that without a problem. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Does it have an emissions label? That will say everyhting it needs.

13. scotto0609

scotto0609 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It's too much hassle,just sell it! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif By the way ,how much do you want for it! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

14. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    It's too much hassle,just sell it! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif By the way ,how much do you want for it! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Babylon, NY? You pay shipping? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

15. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with that is whern the new owner goes to smog it, and it doesnt pass, and they have to fix everything to get it to pass, Bobby can get the bill. But most people dont know that.

16. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Bobby can get the bill.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

17. scotto0609

There in lies the beauty of my job! I am in burbank all the time.Nuthin but a cross country ride to shake out a vehicle! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif So how much? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. rjfguitar

$3K.

19. scotto0609

No thanks,its not smog legal! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif........seriously i will pm you next time i am out there.

20. rjfguitar

ok