Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is needed to run a doubler on a 700-R4???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Flexy K20, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

I am going to be doing a doubler in the near future and I want to know what is required to run one behind a 700-R4. Please dont tell me to go with a 400 or 350 because if my 700 goes I will be getting a Bow Tie Overdrive one. I think I need to change the rear shaft, and what adapter will I need to run the 203? Thanks.
    -fLeXy K20

2. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

after you replace the output of the 700 with the AA 350 shaft you use a stock 203 to th350 adaptor and that is it

3. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

So the 700-R4 and the TH350 have the same bolt pattern on the rear? Thanks
    -fLeXy K20

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yes, same bolt pattern and spline count, a 700 just has a longer stick out than a 350 so thats why you need the AA shaft or you could use the stock shaft with a spacer but that makes it too long on a short wheel base rig. I am gathering all my parts to do this exact swap in the near future as well.

5. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I'd like to see a write up when you get done. I plan on ordering the Bowtie Overdrive 700r4 myself and doing the doubler. I have the NP203 and just need the NP205 w/ 32 spline output now. I have an NP205 but it's from an SM465 and I don't want to machine the case for the 32 spline.

6. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

Just outta curiosity could you cut the shaft? Also who makes these spacers and do you know how much they cost? Thanks
    -fLeXy K20

7. 82TOYLB

82TOYLB Registered Member

No you can not just cut the shaft. The splines would be too short then. You can leave the 700r4 alone and just drill and tap the face of the 203 to match the original 700/208 or 700/241 adapter. This makes the whole setup about 2.5-3 inches longer but I did this in my blazer with 1 ton axles and a 6 in. lift and still have a 32 inch rear D-shaft. The rear shaft runs at a constant 11 degrees and flexes out to 30 degrees. Just right for a highangle driveline or one of tom woods shafts, or any other 'high angle' CV shop. I did not feel like paying someone to tear down my perfectly good 700 to put in a short shaft. I will have it short shafted when the 700 burns up and I have to have it built anyway. At that time all I will have to do is plug the holes I drilled and tapped with some bolts and then use a stock 350/203 adapter and shorten my front driveshaft and lengthen my rear shaft. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

9. 4X4HIGH

My T-case was also off a 465. I tore it apart and had my friend machine the case for the larger bearing and he only charged me $30.00. We had him do Zakks case also so he could get his doubler going. If you aren't too far away and want your case machined I am sure he would do it for you also for the same $30.00. You must have the case completely apart though.

10. WhiteWhomper

WhiteWhomper 1/2 ton status

I just used the stock 208 adapter and drilled and taped the face of the 203 to match, and used set screws and red locktite to seal the old mounting bolt holes. It only adds about 1 1/2" over a 203 adapter and 700 with the replacement shaft. I went this direction only because tearing into a 700r4 is a pain in the arsh without the right "special" tools. Ok, ok, for those of you who know me, know I will always take the cheapest route.

11. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Did you rebuild it while you were at it? That was my plan originally. I contacted Bayshore Trucking in Livermore but they want about a grand to machine the case, and then rebuild the entire TC.

12. 4X4HIGH

Yes, we did rebuild the case. Actually, there was nothing wrong inside so it was nothing more than tear it apart, machine the case, put it back together again. I guess you are somewhere close to me since you spoke of Livermore. I would be willing to help you out with this project just PM me and we can talk about it.

13. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

Alright still trying to get this all figured out. So I need an exact list of parts I will need to run the STRONGEST POSSIBLE doubler behind a TH700. So far I have in the order (that the part will sit):
    1. ExaXt Adapter (www.exaxt.ca/misc.asp)
    2. 203 to TH350 Adapter
    3. 203
    4. Doubler
    5. 205 (From either a TH400, or with the 32 spline input shaft.
    Am I missing ANYTHING? I dont really understand the 203 input gear part of this whole deal. If someone could explain that would be great. Thanks
    -fLeXy K20

14. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I can get you that $145 Adapter for $65 to your door!!!!! PM me if interested! If you do a search for mating a 205 behing a 700R4, you'll also find the info you're looking for! There's pictures of the adapter in my webshots page! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif