Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is phaseing or lineing up your u-joints?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BobK, Sep 3, 2001.

1. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I've heard of guys saying to make sure your u-joints are in phase or lined up.What the heck does that mean?

<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

They mean on a two piece driveshaft to make shue the u joints are lined up the same way. The ends with the u joints in them should line up.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

even on a 2wd 4 speed shaft ? all three joints in that style of shaft shoudl all be in same position ?
    getting ready to rebuild and install shaft into 71 2wd longbed truck is why i ask.
    anyone know magic tricks to remove old carrier bearing from 4 speed shaft ? i have bench vise, bfh, and torch, so., its being a b*tch to remove on this one
    thanks

4. greatwhitenorth

greatwhitenorth 1/2 ton status

I spent three hours removing my carrier bearing if that makes you feel any better...

If I was thinking at the time I would cut the damn thing off with the torch and saved me the hassle.

I too would like to hear some tips for the next time I'm in that situation.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You need the u-joint crosses that are on the d-shaft to be aligned with each other. When you look at the d-shaft it should look like this.

0=======0

With the 0's being the bearing cups facing up.

If it looks like this

0=======ll
    You will have a very bad vibe.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

cool deal, thats what i always assumed was that the caps are supposed to all be the same way, now to figure out way to remove the carrier bearing off the shaft..

thanks guys