Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what is power take off

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by James90, Jan 6, 2001.

1. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

I read some thing in my manul about a tranny or T case mounted power take off and was woundering what it was/ment?

[​IMG]Go prepared

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.trailblazer90.coloradok5.com>http://www.trailblazer90.coloradok5.com</A>

2. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

I think you are talking about a PTO? You can run things like a winch off them. im not sure what else a pto on a truck could be used for.

Bigmeats

Carl...75 Blazer...Manhattan IL

3. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

A Power Take Off (PTO) is an auxillay drive, usually mounted on the side of a manual transmission, to run some extra eauipment like a hydraulic pump for a dump truck, or a mechanically driven winch (you have to run a driveshaft from the PTO over to the winch). The cover plates on the sides of an SM4654 are where the PTO unit mounts.

4. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    In the older jeeps and broncos you could get all sorts of cool atachments for your truck. Plows, front end loaders, buzz saws, backhoes, cranes, sweepers...you name it!

5. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

you can also run feed grinders and all sorts of farm equipment. every farm tractor has one.

Phil from K.C.
    1982 K5 Blazer Silverado
    Built in Flint, Michigan-January 1982
    It has one of the very first 700R4 transmissions ever built.

6. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Ok, but is the PTO on a tractor the same type as on a np205 or sm465? Or are they all different?
    -- Mike

7. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    they are all different....Vehicle specific. Jeep had a 3 point setup in the 60's I think standard 3 point stuff would work. you could make it work if you were handy, but why would you have 3pt implements and no tractor? And you would still have no way to lift it up (tractor has hyd lift on a 3 pt)

Luke
    84 K5

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I bet tow trucks use it too, they have a lever that pulls the car in and it makes the RPMs go up on the tow truck...not that I would know or anything...

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

9. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Everybody's pretty much right on here, it's basically an auxillary power point. Most common uses are for a hydraulic pump (for all sorts of extra equipment) or a straight PTO powered winch.
    For a recreational 4wd, they aren't good for much. PTO winches are usually overkill, over heavy, and over hard to use for most guys, and we really don't have much use for hydraulic power on our trucks. You could have one hell of a blender I guess! It is possible to use the hyd. pump to drive a winch, but I've found a motor driven hyd pump to work really well.

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD