Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is proper way to flush power steering fluid?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Yukon Jack, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

I am about ready to hook up the power steering on a vehicle that received a 454 transplant. The Power steering feeds a hydroboost brake system. The lines are empty though I have had fluid in the pump for some time.

I'm guessing I need to get fluid in the system by firing it up and then shutting down and filling repeatedly then start slowly working the wheels back and forth to get the fluid through the system. Then after fluid is in the system I assume I should pull a low pressure hose and start flushing with the engine running and keeping the remote full of fluid.

Is this the proper way to add fluid and flush the power steering on a hydroboost brake equipped system?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

to flush you use a powersteering flush machine.

To fill, top it off, run it, have someone watch the fluid level. Steer back and forth, add fluid. Steer back and forth again. Keep doing this till you work the air out of the system.

3. r_pogo

r_pogo Registered Member

PS Fluid

I flushed the fluid on a standard PS system by routing a hose from the return line into a jug (plugging the hole at the tank) and then pouring fluid into the filler tank by hand as required to keep it up to the top. Started the engine and a helper **quckily** turned the steering wheel lock to lock (with the wheels off the ground) a couple times then stopped the engine -- all this in about 5-10 seconds while keeping the tank full. Stopping every 5-10 seconds is insurance against accidentially running it dry. Continued this until the fluid became clear.

Note that the flow rate is **very** high and you have to be quick to keep fluid in the tank. Let it run dry and bad things can happen.

4. RustyMule

RustyMule Registered Member

You can do it with the engine running, but it moves WAY too fast. :eek: The best way too do it is too disable the ignition, and have someone crank it over but do it the same way he said. It's much more managable that way, plus the fan doesn't blow the fluid all over the place :mad:

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

My buddy ca do a compleat flush and bleed in 15 min.

used a sized strate rad hose and claps it to the neck of the ps tank. fills it, and with the retourn line disconected and feed to a pan, crack it for a sec or two.

check for no bubbles, if bubbles do it again, once no bubbles(flash light helps), crranck the wheels to lock,

crank moter again, check and repeat if needed, the go to opposit lock, repeat, then to center, and crank, once no bubbles, take your plug out of the retourn inlet and old your finger on it, then quickly put the line back on and crank it again.

if you have no bubbles then your good, if you have foam and bubbles your still bad try again!.

also it will help if you use a jumper wire to your starter with the key out that way the moter wont fire just crank :waytogo: