Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is Rancho lift like?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by hawglet, Nov 20, 2001.

1. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

Ok a guy a work has a 4" Rancho lift for sale that he is going to sell to me for 300 it is used for about 8 months then he went to a 9" with 3" body . What I want to know is: what do these ride like stiff,soft or about like stock? And also is this that great of a deal or should I just wait fo ra while and get one brand new? He is including springs,u-bolts,RS9000 shocks,and lifting blocks. Will I need or should I get a drop steering arm?

Thanks, (in advance)
    Hawglet
    hawglet@excite.com

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

This really doesnt answer your question, but you can get a Rough Country lift brand new with all the stuff this guy is giving you for 350 delivered.

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings
    SPEAK SOFTLY AND DRIVE A BIG TRUCK

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

They ride kinda rough, but nothing too terible. Just don't expect a nice Cadillac ride. You will need a new steering arm.

<a target="_blank" href=http://new.wavlist.com/movies/031/ag-blow.wav>"I ain't nobody, dork."</a>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Rancho makes two different ride quality springs for the '73 to '91 K-series.

A. Is part number #86206, which is the soft ride spring.
    B. Is part number #40054S, which is the firm ride spring.

I just installed the #40054S springs on my '84 Blazer last weekend. I had these springs on a short bed once.
    Yeah, they do ride a little firm, but with the short bed, I had a 6 banger which does not quite weigh as much as a small block. So that truck kind of bounced here and there. I also had the quad shocks on the front, so that did not help things either.
    Now that I have them on the Blazer, I took the truck for a test drive with NO shocks, and the thing actually did not ride bad.

I had the #86206 springs on an '84 K30 I once had. That rode firmer than another truck I have ridden in with the same springs. My guess on why my K30 rode firmer than the other friends truck was simply because the K30 weighs more and had the 454 in it. Kind of like compressing the spring all the way down to where there is no more flex.

So, I guess depending on which springs you end up with, it would depend on how many shocks and how heavy the truck is with the motor size it has.

BTW, tire pressure plays a BIG part in making springs ride firm or soft. [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

5. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I have the soft ride on my burb. I like it. Its a little stiff but is great for towing. My Jimmy has the tuff country lift on it and it is real soft, like a caddy. Stay away from rough country to stiff and the4" lifts arent really 4" because the free arch on them are 3.72 thats with no wiegth on them.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

6. BlueBlazer

Whatever man

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings

7. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

how many RS9000 are there? i know that they are like 70 bucks a shock. their good too. i think its a good deal personally. if an opportunity popped up like that then i would take it if i had the money also. so IMO go for that deal.

jacob

what is that low rider doing under my k5?
    wow nice lil jap car. whats it good for?

8. DesertDueler

The reason I said the rough country is too stiff is because I use to own the lift at one time, and I have a buddy that has oe on his 89 Jimmy as well.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

9. BlueBlazer

Mine rides great, and so do many others, perhaps its a problem with the installation or you just got a bad batch of springs.

10. DesertDueler

My buddies is the same way though. Have you riddin in a tuff coutry lift? Mine rides like a caddy. The only probem is you get a little more bumpsteer from the soft springs. Good proof on the springs are the spring weight. Tuff coutrys ez ride 295 lbs/inch were as rough countrys is 604 lbs/inch.

11. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I run the #86206, soft ride spring, on my 79 k5 with 4" lift blocks. It's a stiff ride with the anti-sway bar connected but rides much better without it. I also noticed a change for the better when I bolted up my custom front bumper (more like a high snow plow). The extra weight was very good for the ride. The flex is acceptable(sway disconnected) but there are better spings out there that provide much better flex. The one plus I do give them is their landing capability. I've had my front end a good 6 to 10 feet air born and the landing was pretty good (due to the stiffness). I don't have any bump stops installed right now and I have yet to bottom out (crossing fingers). The rancho 9000's are pretty good shocks but they tend to fatigue quickly with large tires (35 +) and heavy abuse. I would highly suggest a dropped steering arm as it makes a big difference with a 4" lift. You'll absolutely hate the lift blocks but sometimes its a neccesary evil. My lift blocks created so much axle wrap that it broke both my rear main leafs in half... and yes this was long before I was jumping it. Hope that helps and good luck.

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://www.echobit.com:81/k5/> Pictures</a>

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

So much for your lifetime warrenty. Rancho springs have a lifetime warrenty as long as the bumpstops are properly lowered.

I have the soft ride kit on my truck and it rides like a Cadilac. Just as good as a stock truck with the 3 leaf springs.

If you think the soft ride Ranchos are rough, you need to do a coil conversion up front or something, because I don't think it gets much better.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

13. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Actually, I'm looking at the Bilstein Coil over kit as an option for a custom 4 link installation but more for flexin than for the ride.

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://www.echobit.com:81/k5/> Pictures</a>

14. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

They (Rancho) Ride like a empty dumptruck. Over priced too. You could call ORD and get the EZrides and blocks for $300 I bet.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

15. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Sorry should have read better. That deal is lmost worth it for those 9000's. those are pricy shocks

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper