Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what is reverse rotation?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thezentree, Jan 7, 2004.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

...what the subject says

also, whats a good source for gears?

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

reverse rotation (reverse cut) gears, allow you to run a Hi-pinion front end, like a D60 from a ford in the front of your chevrolet..and the gears, since they're upside down, would have to turn backwards, so they have to be cut backwards.. i think thats right.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Hey, Happy Birthday /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

hey thanks.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. benny

benny Registered Member

Reverse rotation is one of those terms that only stupid ass ignorant people use. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif That would be because when talking about light truck axles there's no "reverse rotation." Originally I guess it was coined because high pinion diffs use gear sets with the gear teeth cut in a direction that spirals different (opposite) than a regular gearset.. You will sometimes hear these gearsets referred to as "reverse spiral" which is correct. Another okay term is reverse cut because the high pinion gearsets are just cut in a direction opposite of normal low pinion gearsets.. So basically high pinion axles require high pinion gearsets which may be referred to as reverse cut or reverse spiral..

There's never any "reverse rotation". No matter high pinion or low pinion the ring gear and pinion gear turn the same respective directions..

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My ring and pinions turn in reverse when I put my truck in reverse. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif That's, "reverse rotation."

7. thezentree

[ QUOTE ]
    My ring and pinions turn in reverse when I put my truck in reverse. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif That's, "reverse rotation."

[/ QUOTE ]

ohhhhhhhhh, is THAT what it is /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

i figured it was something along those lines. so, how bout dem gears?

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

No actually I was being sarcastic. The term is used to describe "reverse cut" gears, even though it is essentially incorrect, as noted above.

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have heard that there is strength gains from reverse cut gears. Is this true?

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I have heard that there is strength gains from reverse cut gears. Is this true?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only when used in a front axle. By design, a regular ring and pinion is stronger in forward than reverse. When a regular ring and pinion (standard cut) is used up front, you're using the weaker side of the gear when you're driving forward.

Reverse cut allows you to use the stronger side of the gear for a front axle when moving forward, which is usually where the most strength is required.

The opposite is true about using it in a rear axle. Using a reverse cut axle in the rear effectively means you're using the weaker side of the gear, and a standard cut would be stronger for that application.

I don't know if that made any sense, but hopefully somebody understands it. I can visualize it in my head, but actually making it mean something in type is difficult.

EDIT:

That's why you'll rarely ever see me trying to pull a rig out in reverse. I am installing a winch now, but in the past, I've had some pretty heavy duty tow straps break and done some serious recovery with just my truck by itself (including extracting one Peterson's cover truck, my only chance to brag I've got to do anything cool) /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I have never broken a thing in the process. Don't know if always using a forward gear has helped this, but i'm sure it hasn't hurt.

11. thezentree

[ QUOTE ]
    No actually I was being sarcastic. The term is used to describe "reverse cut" gears, even though it is essentially incorrect, as noted above.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, i know, i was just goin along with it. i aint THAT much of a brick! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, i know, i was just goin along with it. i aint THAT much of a brick! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, it takes all kinds of people to make up a world...honestly, on the computer, you never know.

13. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Jake(hipinion) has a custom built boyce equipment hi pinion D60 that is odviously reverse cut... We should ask him what he thinks of it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif