Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is that hole on the passenger side of the waterpump?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, Mar 20, 2003.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Ya know where the 2 bolts mount the pump to the motor..what is that extra hole that doesn't take a bolt? Is antifreeze supposed to come out of that hole? Thanks

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

on driver side ? i think its the bypass hole, im messed up right now though, trying to remember, i should know the answer, this is basic stuff, hmm

3. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Passenger side, it is right underneath the lower bolt hole where the pump mounts to the motor.

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

If it's threaded it's a bypass, needs a 1/2" brass plug

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ya know where the 2 bolts mount the pump to the motor..what is that extra hole that doesn't take a bolt? Is antifreeze supposed to come out of that hole? Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it's a heater core return.
    On some models the return is from the pump.
    If yours doesn't need it I think you plug it.

6. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

It's the water pump bypass hole. It's nothing too major, but many (if not all) people using a performance SBC plug it with an 1/8" pipe plug.

7. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

8. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

Yeah, that's just a bypass port. When you say coolant coming out, do you mean while the pump is mounted? Coolant should be coming thru it, but if you see any dampness on the block while installed, the gastets puked out on ya. It's really easy to tap them out, although you would be tapping/plugging the block itself.

9. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Well, thanks alot for your help. I'll have to tap and plug it I guess. My problem was a coolant leak coming from what I thought was the hose. So I bought a new hose put it on and still leaking. So I decided to try new gaskets. Tried those and it was still leaking on the passengers side. So I took off the pump again and notice a drip coming from that bypass port that you schooled me about. I don't even know why this pump has a bypass port, because my block doesn't have a port or any sort of hole for it to come through. Thanks again.