Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is the acceptable angles for drive lines? (pic inside)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Nov 16, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I had a few vibes after the lift and they are getting worse. When I regear I want to make sure I have the vibes cleared up. I was thinking about a slip/cv rear line and my front spacer should be here wed.

Things I have done.
    -installed a 3* shim on the front and rear axles
    -dropped the transfercase x-member and installed a new tranny mount

[​IMG]

so when I measure these angles... how is the easiest way and what angles should I be looking for as a tolerence?
    I may still need to replace the zerorate/shim in the back with a 2" X* block (from az-kickin).
    So what do I need to do? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

The diff yoke and TC yoke should be with 2* - 3* of each other /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

looks like you've got too much angle out of the transfer case. i think the only way your gonna get no vibes is with a CV shaft.if your going to lift it more with a block, make sure you take that into account when you decide the length of the new shaft.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

Jeremiah, maybe if you could tilt your axle back/up a little ? looks like it would help for at least right now anyways

loks pretty good under there for a midwestern truck as old as an 87, whats under there for coating ?

5. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

why not tilt the transfer case a little? loosen the motor mounts so they dont bind, and shim the back of the tcase down maybe 1/4" and see if that helps, tighten everything back up and see what happens..

6. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'd probably do my best to align the pinion and transfer case output so they are in parallel. I have a far worse driveline angle problem right now than you (my pinion is pointed up past the driveshaft) and I don't get a vibration until around 72mph. I'd see about replacing both universals.

They say universals are only good for 4° but I say 12° is good as long as they're in parallel.

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Jeremiah, maybe if you could tilt your axle back/up a little ? looks like it would help for at least right now anyways

loks pretty good under there for a midwestern truck as old as an 87, whats under there for coating ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just took the flap wheel on the grinder and sanded down the frame painted it with a rust cap hammerite paint from autozone. The axles got a quick shot of black... you can tell I didn't do too much between the frame rails though /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif