Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is the best air cleaner for an Eldebrock carb?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Zooman, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Zooman

Zooman Registered Member

I am going to be installing my eldebrock intake and carb soon and I need to get a air cleaner.
    On the box of the 14 inch eldebrock air cleaner(1207) it says that I might need a banjo fitting for the gas line on the carb.
    What do you guys think the best air cleaner that will fit without hitting on an eldebrock carb(1405).
    Thanks
    Matt

2. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

It depends on what kind of filter fixture you are going to use. Is this an open element type or installing the filter inside the old cleaner housing?

I have the 1406 on my 71 Elky. I wnet with the GMPP open element setup. However, the base drops too much and I had to install a spacer which Edelbrock will sell you for $10.
    That allowed the base to go on without hitting the choke mech. I also had to install the Banjo fitting to clear the base. The small adaptor parts are what gets expensive. Wait until you buy the carb rebuild kit, its about 3 times more expensive than the generic Carter type. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. Zooman

Zooman Registered Member

That's what I am trying to avoid. Buying all those adaptors. The banjo fitting is $38 canadain.
    Is there an air cleaner that will fit on with out having to buy any adaptors?

I also forgot to mention that my truck is a 78 chev with a 350 and for use in MUD.
    Matt

4. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I just bought a carter carb same as edelbrock both made by weber. I reacently bought a mr gasket open element filter settup with a 9/16 base that would raise the filter off the fuel line because my original setup was rubbling holes in my fuel line. I also bought a K&N filter element to go in there. I think this would be a wise investment...Jason /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

One of those small triangler airfilters should fit. Can't say how well they flow. Clicky

6. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

With the gas line hookup on the edelbrocks it can be a pain. I tried running a standard aftermarket chrome cleaner for awhile and rubbed holes in my line twice. I finally put stainless braided line on and got the edelbrock cleaner that is made for there carbs. It has a raised baseplate to clear the fuel intake. Mine was the elite with the ribbed cover but I believe you can get the standard chrome also for a little less $$. Check out edelbrocks website for part numbers and then call around for pricing.