Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is the best DIY liner

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, Jan 24, 2002.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Want to rip out my nappy carpet and line, what is the best do it yourself liner?

Steve

Director of Global Expansion

2. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

yeah, me too, im sick of my carpet. I want a nice liner. Im thinking Herculiner.

My 73 K5 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/xk5blazerx/73k5.htm>http://www.geocities.com/xk5blazerx/73k5.htm</a> 350/TH350/NP203, Q-jet, Edelbrock intake, Vortec heads, 4" lift, and 36" TSL's

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Best I"ve seen so far is the herculiner or the stuff you get at the paint supply stores, (NOT Duplicolor) , but I"m sure your aware, your results are going to greatly depend on your prep work.

Like em big and topless
    You call THAT...a 4x4....LMAO?

4. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

I haven't tried it yet but DURABAK
    www.durabakbedliner.com
    looks like what I'm going with. It's made at the same factory that herculiner is made and comes in different colors. I sent them a request for info via e-mail and it came quick. Also they're in Colorado and maybe close enough for you to visit. I'm trying to decide if I want GREEN or YELLOW. The brochure and website have pics of rigs that have been completely coated inside and out. Those pics have me sold on coating my whole rig.

If you knew the truth, you too would be against marijuana prohibition!
    Blue '74 K5 Blazer Topless W/ 35 BFG Muds (See profile for pics)

5. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

I'll probably go with durabak as well, mostly for the color choice. I think Herculine is now available in black, gray and red, but Durabak has all kinds of colors. Someone else on the board had used Durabak (ChevCaGal?) I'd be interested in knowing how it stands up to the sun, before committing to coating the exterior.

John

6. aandpman

aandpman 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Durabak is some tough stuff. I work in a male juvenile detention center (you know how destructive teenage boys can be...;-) and we finally painted our security unit's doors with durabak because the little gang farts were carving their gang symbols into the paint.
    NOT ANY MORE....
    Even if they ARE able to mar the stuff which is very seldom, it can be repaired by dabbing a little over the bad spot, as it bonds back to itself.
    I don't know how it stands up to UV, but there is agood article on it over at Rockcrawler.com.

P. eople for
    E. ating
    T. asty
    A. nimals
    85 K10, 305 700R4 33's 3.08's (14bff & D44 in the garage now ;-)

7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

How much is the Durabank stuff going for?

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well Here is the problem with DYI. Can't get it thick enough. That tranny tunnel will bake your ankle. BigJBear has his Rhino lined and mine is bare steel. He has about 3/8 of an inch down on the front floors and it insulates it pretty good. Still not bare foot good but 90% improvment over my bare floors.
    I have talked to a paint supply house and they do sell a spray in kit and a cheap aplicator. Looking about $250 with aplicator (Rhino and Line-X usualy want $500). They only have primary collors like black, red, white, Yellow and green. It however is pretty close to Rhino stuff. I really want tan is why I already haven't tried it.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

9. Innerpiece

Innerpiece 1/2 ton status

do you need special spray equip or can you use craftsman brand sprayers and buy the liner?

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

It's a under coating aplicator from what I understand. About $35 bucks is what the guy at my local paint suply place said.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

11. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I herculined my whole truck. No complaints excent for I have an ugly bedlined truck. You can paint it on as thick as you want, and you can put it in an undercoating gun (10$ at harbor freight) and spray it as thick as you want. It will fade to a flat black after time. I just painted over it with rustoleum glossy black and it looks like new.

12. TwoCrowsDesign

Just looked over at the Durabak site, it says you can spray with a normal sprayer, but will need at least 1/4" nozzle on the gun. They also claim UV resistance which means, at least theoretically, less fading.

John

13. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

I Herculined mine and ended up spending 150.00. The cost savings is well worth it to me. I used one gallon of the junk and put 2 coats on. It was VERY easy to do and looks good.

Surfing is Life...

14. TwoCrowsDesign

FYI A very prompt response from Durabak.

JB

Durabak costs $89/gal (black) and colors are extra. A gallon will do a 6 ft pickup bed. A long bed takes a gallon
    and a qt or two (@ 1/4 the gallon price). Durabak can be built up to your desired thickness.
    If you would like a product flyer and a Durabak sample chip just leave your mailing address. To place an order just give us a call at (303) 690-7190 (MC/Visa). Delivery is approximately 7 days.

John

15. TwoCrowsDesign

FYI A very prompt response from Durabak.

JB

Durabak costs $89/gal (black) and colors are extra. A gallon will do a 6 ft pickup bed. A long bed takes a gallon
    and a qt or two (@ 1/4 the gallon price). Durabak can be built up to your desired thickness.
    If you would like a product flyer and a Durabak sample chip just leave your mailing address. To place an order just give us a call at (303) 690-7190 (MC/Visa). Delivery is approximately 7 days.

John

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I like my herculiner. If you wait for sales you can get it $70-80 a gallon...not bad. I have about 2 gallons of it on my rig. Webshots link has pics. It doesnt sound-deaden as well as a rhino-lining or line-x would...because its thinner, but I never really cared about road noise anyway. =p

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

17. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Let's see, I tried Herculiner, Durabak and Duplicolor.
    Worst of all is obviously Duplicolor, but it's like 1/2 the price of the three.
    I applied them all in my old 75'. I first used Durabak in the entire interior. But then used Herculiner on the rear bed, when I replaced the rear part of the bed and swapped out the tail pan. I only used duplicolor on spots that chipped and I ran out of Herculiner.

Herculiner and Durabak appears to be the exact same stuff. If you're set on getting a DIY bedliner and want to choose between the two, just go with the one you can get cheaper (which is usually Durabak, since they're the same). Grim is right about them not being thick. And someone just said you can apply more to make it thicker, but that doesn't make it any stronger. 2 coats is enough, after that, it's just adding liner.
    As far as strength issue is concerned, They're "alright". I probably wouldn't go that route again, but you never know, since they're sooo much cheaper than a pro job from Rhino or LineX. I would put carpet over it, to help protect it though. They will definately chip up and scrape off if you don't. Once a piece of it scrapes up, you can like peel a lot of it off. That's no good. Granted you can coat over it again to fix the problem.
    Basically, the most problem part was my tailgate, since I load and unload a bunch of stuff out of it, that it just chips and peels off at the area that recieved the most contact. I carpeted the entire truck though with cheap interior/exterior grade carpet from Home Depot, so I didn't have that chipping problem in the bed or front cab.
    If I don't go do a professional job from Rhino or LineX for this truck, I would probably just coat the entire interior with Por15, since I will be adding carpet over that anyway, since Por15 will definatly protect it from the elements and it stops rust.
    But the key is, as someone mentioned, PREPERATION. I'm talking cleaning the whole truck, removing all dust or anything. If any rust area, make sure you take care of the problem by cutting it out and welding new metal in. These stuff (herculiner, DB or dupli) doesn't contain rust or stop it, like Por15 does. Rust will just form underneath it. They claim they it does, but I found that that wasn't the case. Then clean it out with Xylene on a brush a couple times. Let it dry. Then go to town. Hope this info helps.
    Boss

Pic of my truck Before N' After
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter</a>

18. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Thank's guys, one of the reasons why I want a diy is so I can touch it up when I move stuff around gets scratched etc.., Hmm por15, I just wonder about the heat from the tranny tunnel but then again I'ts not a Cadilac.

Steve

Director of Global Expansion

19. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Well, the Herc, Dura, and Dupli don't do much for solving heat issues either. I'm telling you bro, you'll want to put carpet on there if you go with Herc or Dura. Reason is, they use tiny little rubber chips in with their urethane mix. Those tiny little rubber things will scrape the $hit out of you on top of not disipating the heat from the tranny. My knees got scraped up pretty good from moving stuff around in the rear bed with shorts on (before I put in the carpet). The stuff aint smooth. But your reason for going DIY is very relevant.
    Boss

Pic of my truck Before N' After
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter</a>

20. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

The guys Nick works with just sprayed herculiner with a paint gun. They got the biggest tip and had at it. It looks just like rhino line. And they did it real thick. It's about 1/4" thick I think. It's in the bed of a pick up so UV rays will hit it real bad. I had some in the back of my truck for about a year. It wasn't shiney anymore, but it was black. I don't think you'll have a bad problem with UV rays anyway if you're using it for interior.
    But, those guys have drug some nasty heavy stuff and it hadn't chipped or scratched at all. Everyday they are using a forklift to get stuff out of that truck so that thing runs across the liner all the time and it's fine. I agree, it depends on the prep work. They sand blasted the bed before they put it on.
    On my little truck I had it in it was coming off, but it was a '91 s-10 and the paint was peeling on it so that was just a case of bad prep work/bad primer. I didn't plan on keeping the truck much longer so I just threw it on there anyway. It's real hard to put on with a brush. I think it comes with a roller if I remember right which is a lot better for getting the texture.

<font color=green>Can't sleep...the clown will get me</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>