Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is the best high heat paint

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scoutillac, Apr 28, 2004.

1. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

What is the best high heat paint for my new headers? OK so I didn't go big bling bling but atleast I did bling. I got the Summit shorty headers. They come painted, but not with high heat paint. Should I strip them to bare metal and them paint them? What is the best way to prep and paint them? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Don't waste your time, effort, or money. No matter what you paint them with, it will burn off anyway.

3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

If you decide to paint them definitely remove the paint on there now. It is only intended to keep them from rusting while in storage and what not.

I made the mistake of painting over the coating, even went to the trouble of baking them in an oven. Within a couple of days the paint was all flaked off.

Eastwood Company makes a good high heat paint. www.eastwoodco.com

Or you could have them powder coated. Not sure how expensive or how well they would work.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Sandblast the factory stuff off of them and then paint them with VHT 1500 degree paint. I did that to the headers on my S-Jimmy about 10 years ago and most of the paint is still on them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

6. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Im with Tim, I dont even try to paint headers anymore. Glad to know there are products that have worked though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't waste your time, effort, or money. No matter what you paint them with, it will burn off anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another generalization Tim. If you don't actually know or haven't tried to find a product you shouldn't go spouting off...

VHT makes a 1500 degree flame proof paint that flat out works. I wire brushed a used set of headers and gave them 2 coats of the VHT paint and 3 years later when I sold those headers to a guy i know, better than 90% of that paint was still there. A bit had come off where the tubes met the collector, and I'd have to guess better prep on my part would have prevented that. I could only find silver when I bought it, but recently saw they have other colors avaialable now.

Rene

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I used VHT on one header and Dupli-Color 1200* Ceramic or something on the other. VHT was $12/can from Summit. The other was $5/can at Autozone. Both worked great until the first winter (I'm in Michigan), where both started to come off where the spray from the wheels hits them. The cheap stuff actually did better. Now I just hit rusty spots with sandpaper and spray again. I am interested in the POR-20, but don't know if it will stay on.

9. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

The POR 20 looks good. Thanks guys