Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is the best Lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by djohnson, Feb 1, 2006.

1. djohnson

djohnson Registered Member

Tax time is here and I haven't done any work on my 89 K5 all winter due to lack of funds. Finally I will be able to lift the truck. My buddies drive Jeeps and they can get around things that I have to go over so I need more clearence.

What is the best lift?
    Criteria
    I want a 6in lift. I tend to beat on my truck a little (understatment) so it has to be something very durable. I will also be installing it my self so the easier to install the better (I have acess to every tool I need and have some experence wtih lifts on Jeeps).

What else am I forgetting? To go up 6 in does anything else need to be replaced, I know of a couple things but I am sure I am missing something.

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

for springs, most will tell ya Tough Country or BDS.. some 6"ers up front with maybe some H.D shackles...

best bet out back will prolly be a combo of a shackle flip and lift springs. it'll ride better and flex better than just springs..

you also need to extend your brake lines and more than likely driveshafts...

check out http://www.offroaddesign.com/ for all ya need...

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

he took the words out of my mouth

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

And for anything else for the love of god hit the SEARCH BUTTON!

5. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

welll for 6" lift.. springs are your best bet up front.. *i have a set of 6" for sale) annd for the rear a shackle flip with some springs is your other option for the rear. Right now i have 8" of lift w/ stock driveshafts.. yet my perches were moved a bit for the angles!

6. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

BDS and Tuff Country get a lot of mention around here, but I think SkyJacker offers what could be the best quality "off the shelf" springs there are. The only thing better would be custom made springs by a company such as Alcan.

7. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I bought the 6 inch BDS for the no questions asked warrenty. If you beat on the truck, that could save you some money down the road. I did springs all around, and now kind of wish I would have done a shackel flip in the rear. I had to do longer brake lines and drive shaft. As for ease of install, it was pretty easy, other than getting the wrong u joints for the rear. I swapped axles at the same time and they shipped me the 1/2 ton instead of the 1 ton u joints.
    Good luck