Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what is the best locker

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kyrel69, Jan 7, 2002.

1. kyrel69

kyrel69 1/2 ton status

I am wanting to know what the best locker for a front 10 bolt is. I am running 35in tires and wanting something to help out in the front

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I run a lock-right in mine and it works great and has held up to rockcrawling.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. kyrel69

kyrel69 1/2 ton status

how much do you wheel. I wheel a lot and quite hard? How long has it been in

4. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

An ARB if they make em for the 10. You said the best, not cheapest :)

Dave

Horn Broken... Watch For Finger.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics</a>

5. DesertDueler

I wheel alot, its a trail rig only now since the rollover. Its been in there for about a year now and no problems yet.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

6. kyrel69

kyrel69 1/2 ton status

Well I was talking best for the buck.
    DesertDueler, were did you get your and for how much
    also how much of the long pedal do you like to use

7. DesertDueler

I got mine from 4wheelers supply localy. I use the long pedal enough to get up anything :)

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Personally, I think a locker in a front 10 bolt running 35" tires is really pushing (beyond?) the limits of the axle. If you really go places and use it in situations where you need a front locker, I don't think your 10 bolt knuckle joints will last. You'll really need to baby it, especially when the wheels are turned. Just my opinion.

Other than that, most any of the inserts will probably last longer than the axle (10 bolt front running 35s) and they are all easy/cheap to install. As far as which one is best, someone else will have to answer that since I don't know. Good luck.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

9. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

I too run a loc-right in my front diff, its a D44 and i run 36" swampers, I've run it for about a year now, its pulled me up all sorts of stuff, i do have a tendency to baby my truck and drive with finess instead of brute force, i have yet to have a problem, and havn't (knock on wood) broken anything yet. But we'll see what happens after the doubler and engine upgrades. That D60 may be in my future sooner than later.

Leland aka RaisedK5

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most!"
    "Are the voices in my head bothering you?

10. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I would say go for the traclock. Best, I would say is the Detroit. I would never say ARB is the best. Way to many problems with them. They are nice, but I wouldnt say the best. I have seen the break more than Detroits, and seen problems with them engaging WAY to many times. I want to know my locker is going to work when I need it.

I do agree that locking the 10 bolt may be asking for problems. But, I would do it anyways. Maybe go for a more limited slip type application to save on the front shafts.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs