Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is the best soft top???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazen_md, Aug 15, 2002.

1. blazen_md

blazen_md 1/2 ton status

I am looking to buy a soft top but I want something to where I can roll up the sides and back and use it like a bikini top and something that will still be useful like a full soft top. I just need some help on some good brands and stuff like that. Thanks.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

in my experience, the best-made softtops are Canbacks. They are very $pendy however... pretty sure a canback for a 2nd gen K5 is over $1k. If thats to steep for ya (I know it is for me!) you might try specialty top (review on this site I think!) or bestop. hope it helps,

J

3. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i got my can back from 4 wheel parts for right around 850..i love it! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

See that Banner that say's Off camber 4x4 /forums/images/icons/smile.gif CK5 is a Specialty top distributor. The Can backs are nice if you got the cash but the STC is about $500 or so for a 76 up. THe fast trac version the side windows zip out. Rolling those windows is a VERY bad idea...they will get scratched VERY easy. Taking them out is a better alterantive.
    There is a reveiw on the Kayline tops off the main page for the 76 up. STC bought al lthe patterns from Kayline so it's the same top. Steve should be posting the review I did for the 73-75 top soon. One complaint I have heard about the 76 up is not sealing well to the back of the cab area. Some people have found some Neopreme weather stripping makes quick cure.

5. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

i got a kayline fastrac for my 86 before they were bought or whatever, it seals fine around the cab and i drop it back often, only h20 i ever get comes in above the wells in the rear and is very minimal..peace.
    HAYDUKE

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Who's soft top requires the least amount of drilling? Does any particular brand prevent reinstallation of the hard top?

7. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Least amount of drilling would be Can-Back and no particular brand prevents reinstallation of the hard top. Just a small plug, I sell the Can-Backs as well as the Specialty tops at http://offcamber4x4.com (shameless plug) /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i would say go for the can back...just keep in mind you get what you pay for...my friend has they kayline on his bronco..its only 2 years old and its just about trashed...the can back has alot better quality material than the kayline/STC dose and looks a whole lot better...my neighbor liked mine sooo much that he ordered one for his dodge pickup /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif go with the can back...you will be alot happier with it /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I'm partial to the Bestop, but that's what I run. It requires a lot of holes to be drilled, but I'm real happy with the product. Doesn't leak, and looks pretty sharp. It's also about the cheapest of the bunch.

10. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i also had the skyler top for about a year and a few months...i liked that too but only down side is you cant use the back seat with it on...aside from that it saved me a few times from the rain /forums/images/icons/grin.gif