Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What is the best swap for an automatic setup

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mcmlxix, Dec 10, 2001.

1. mcmlxix

mcmlxix Registered Member

I had figured to buy a parts truck for the 700r4 NP208. Is this the best setup to use? I don't think I will be doing any heavy wheeling. I want to be able to drive it on the highway but still go play in the dirt. I have been looking for a 83 - 91 Blazer/Burb/Jimmy as a drive train doner. When did these change so that you need a computer for the lock up? Can this be bypassed if I find a newer truck. I want the simplest and best automatic setup that will give me an overdrive. Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I really like my 700R4/NP205. If you're getting the tranny rebuilt then the rear output shaft can be exchanged for an Advance Adaptors shaft that will allow the 205 to bolt directly with a TH350 adaptor. There are several kits out there that allow you to control the lockup on the convertors with engine vacuum and brake switch cutouts (not sure, but painless might make one). Mine is simply plumbed to lock up in 4th and wired to a toggle switch to unlock the convertor briefly if I choose. I'm not sure any 700R4 used a computer to lock up, when they did the tranny was designated a 4L60. Simply the best automatic with OD would be a 4L80E - a TH400 with overdrive, but may be overkill price-wise if you're not going to need the extra strength.