Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what is the best way to get a tranny pan to seal???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Sep 18, 2001.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

ok guys...

for some reason I'm having a hard time getting my tranny pan to seal so it won't leak. I torqued it according to the specs in the chilton's book.

I've tried 2 different kinds of gaskets (riber, and cork) having the same problem with both. when I put the fiber gasket on I used RTV on both the tranny, and then the pan with the gasket between.

oh yea, and by the way this thing is running awesome! I got it past the 50 mile oil change, and at the end of it before the oil change GM recommends 4-6 medium throttle accellerations, followed by 2 hard accellerations! man let me tell you what, this thing has really nice power! (I'm sure it will only come into its own more as time goes on). the Chevy Thunder the guy painted on the back has finally been realized! [​IMG][​IMG]

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

2. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Are the flanges on the pan straight? How long did you let the RTV cure before you put fluid back in?

- Alan

'82 K10 Suburban Silverado (AKA U.S.S. Nimitz)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

3. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I'd try a new pan...you probably warped yours liek i did mine on my other truck...I just went to a junkyard and went dig through their pile of TH350's and looked for the pan in the best shape...pulled it, cleaned it and torquesd it to spec...no more problems

Some people tell me that some autoparts stores can plane or true the surface flat again

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer
    1982 Chevy C-10 Longbed

4. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

oh yeah and sealant if i recal right isnt supposed to be on a tranny pan and does more hurt than good

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer
    1982 Chevy C-10 Longbed

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Instead of using RTV sealant, use Vaseline. Don't ask me why, but it works for me. [​IMG]

<font color=red>I'm a "black top mudder"!!!</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy</a>

6. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

first make sure your pan is strait. as for the silicon, i only use enough to keep the gasket on the pan. then i hand tightn the bolts and let it sit a few hours and then with the socket and an extension i tighten using no ratchet, kinda like a screwdriver. go by feel enough so you know that it wont leak, remember there is no presure there so it don't have to be that tight. also retightn it after a few hundred miles. you'll never see mine leak...

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer

7. Burbinator

My thoughts exactly, but ARQ is a little faster on the uptake... :)
    Good advice...

- Alan

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

8. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

#1 dont use silicone...#2 make sure pan is stright and clean...#3 just put bolts about handtight

The silicone is bad because it can come off and go through the tranny...the raised part of the lip will split the gasket in half if overtightened and the gasket is made to soak up the fluid and expand to seal(another reason for not using silicone).

good luck! and glad to hear you like how it runs!

Chris

P.s. no more fires I hope!![​IMG]

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A FOUR WHEELING PROBLEM![​IMG]

9. solowookie

well guys, when I look through the posts I'm seeing I did absolutely everything wrong... [​IMG]

I definately tightened it too much, but that was just because I was following the torque specs from the book (the torque I put on it split the gasket both times)... I thought this was kinda weird which is why I got a new gasket, and did it twice. both times I saw the gaskets split [​IMG]...

I should have known better at that time, but I decided I'd wait until I saw if it would leak or not. well I took it for the first drive, and didn't have any problems. when I finished with the 50 mile breakin today that thing was leaking real bad...

as far as the pan being straight, this is a new pan - extra deep. I looked it over real good, and the pan seems to be in really good condition.

Wes, I'll have to try your vasoline thing sometime...

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

10. After awhile the bolts will wear a dip around each of them and this will cause it to leak severely. I took mine and turned it over and dropped a bolt in it the opposite way it should go and backed it with a board, then gave it a good smack with a hammer to take out the little bow around the bolt hole. I also use a very thin coat of grease to hold the gasket in place and then make sure not to overtighten it.

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>I Like my Burb'n on the ROCKS !!
    <font color=black>Imported to Kentucky through military channels !!

11. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

check you TCS switch if you have one on the tranny passenger side of the tranny . its a funky black switch and if it is shot it will leak when you put it in gear. I went and tryed a new pan and gasket and it still leaked and so I was looking at the cooler lines when it was in drive and the e-brake on and then I found the problem was the TCS transmision controled spark. check it and if it is it take the switck out and install a1/8 pipe plug and that will cure it. just my opinion.
    colin

Save the whales Harpoon a fat chick.

12. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

Man, I hate those tinny POS pans! Go with an aluminum aftermarket and never have leaks again!

Ron

13. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Try putting the gasket down on the pan side only (cork works best for this) with either contact cement or CopperKote - This has always worked for me with trouble gaskets.

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

14. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

JB weld, nuff said.

Tork DSR
    I just got a winch, it takes the fun out of things.

15. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I use a thin coat of grease on both sides of the gasket, then tighten it evenly. I did my pan twice in the last 5 months, and it has yet to leak. I use the rubber gaskets too, I love 'em!

Good luck bro!

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Ever stop to think... Then forget to start again?**

16. solowookie

hey, where do you get a rubber tranny pan gasket??? the places around here don't have one???

17. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

I have always been told to use Gascacinch the brush on type it helps it stay in place and helps seal it also is ok for gasoline.

88k5 silverado w4"lift <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.11

18. solowookie

JB Weld???

come on guys I'm give me some opinions on this??? (don't know if this is one I'd dare try)

19. Burbinator

JB Weld would work great...provided you never want to change your fluid/filter again! I'll have to write that down...LOL

- Alan

20. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Don't use Gaskacinch! I made the mistake of doing that once. It turned the gasket to swiss cheese (hundreds of little holes all through it) over night! I used a nice thick cork gasket. In the course of 24hrs it leaked out about 2 qts! I use Gaskacinch for everything else and have never had a leak. It is good stuff just don't use it w/ ATF.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>